Skip to main content

;(

How do you arrive to school on Monday morning, only to tell your class that one of their own will no longer be back? How do you comfort young hearts who think death is only for old people, not for 13 year olds riding four wheelers?  How does a subsitute teacher walk into a classroom, knowing that all day long the students will be asking about their teacher, who was the mother of Gracie, the teacher that "died" a few years earlier delivering a child, but regained vital signs as family members and church members throughout the area prayed, as doctors said "she should be dead; she was dead; we can't explain this" and is now dealing with the fact that her oldest child is no longer with us? This was a holiday to celebrate Life and Resurrection, to rejoice, not mourn and grieve.

And yet as I visit 13 year old Gracie's Facebook page and read posts from friends, classmates, family, and church members, I am comforted by what I read. Posts like this:

God, we don't always understand the answer, but we can rest assured it is always right. Gracie Abbott, I watched you grow up and it was a blessing. Please pray for the Abbott family, the church family, and friends. Remember, for a Christian death is not the end, but the beginning.

Father, as this day begins, may we remember that to be absent from the body is to be present with her Savior. This is eternal comfort so Father I pray for present comfort for students and teachers today. May we focus on You, Your gift of grace and love, and how we may show others Your love and be a witness and give testimony how You can give new life and forgiveness, so that we will see Gracie Abbott again in Heaven one day. There is no other way to understand a tragedy except to look to Christ.
Amen.


I don't even know what to say. Gracie was such a vivacious force of nature it's hard believing this really happened. I've never met someone else so young and so brave. She never held back on sharing God's word or an opportunity to worshi...p Him. I've personally learned a lot from her, and I know this won't be for nothing. Her life was and always will be a testimony for The Lord. It doesn't matter how old or young you are or what your state in life might be. You are always an asset for the Kingdom of God. Gracie got a "Well done!"  Regardless, there is a hurting family and many others who are seriously hurting right now and could use a lot of prayer! 
 
Everyone, please pray for the Gracie Abbott's family. She had a bad UTV accident and now she has gone home to be with her Great and Wonderful Savior, Jesus Christ! Please, please if you don't know Him as your Lord and Savior, please get with someone who does. We never know when our last breath on earth will be met with our first breath in eternity. Gracie would be upset with me if I didn't make sure that your eternity is spent with Her Lord and mine, Jesus Christ! We will miss her badly, but will see her agin! We love you Gracie Lou!! 
 
There's also the posts about guardian angels and such that always make me cringe and let me know someone hasn't read their Bible very much, but I also know they're hurting and trying to reach out in their own ignorant ways.  My prayer today is that Wayne and Sharon will be protected from cutting comments that are meant well but still hurt, that Tina will have wisdom helping Cole cope with the fact that he survived and Gracie didn't, and that Larry and Phyllis and the other set of grandparents, along with all the other family will experience that peace that passes understanding. For Laura as she reaches out to her niece, having experienced the horror of losing a child too soon, that God will sustain her heart and mind as she can comfort Sharon in ways the rest of us can't. I'm so thankful our God is a healing God, who heals the hearts and souls of his creation, if they are willing to turn to Him. Jehovah-jireh.
 
Cole (Gracie's cousin) holding Elijah, her younger brother

Gracie Abbott, 13, 8th grader at Maddox Middle School
 

Comments

Jennifer said…
prayers to the family. she was a beautiful young lady and I am sure she was on the inside as well.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut