Skip to main content

plodding/plotting/plopping

The Chinese, while an atheistic society shunning foolish beliefs, are very superstitious. One of their many superstitions that they dare not break involves cleaning and the New Year. Prior to the New Year, you are supposed to clean every nook and crany of your residence, so you won't carry any old germs/dirt/baggage into the new year. Considering the lack of great cleaning supplies and the fact the area I lived in was desert with frequent dust storms that piled an inch of dust up under the door and window frames, I found that idea crazy, futile and pointless.

But for some reason I found myself thinking about that this holiday season. I normally push myself beyond exhaustion right before we leave on a trip trying to clean the house (don't ask me why). This year I made sure the laundry was done, and that was it. Yep. I left my house with wheelchair dirt tracks and dust. And no one cared at all (well, except for maybe me...a little). 

I began jotting out a list of housework items that I need/want to do. It's title "January", and my goal is to actually finish those items before the month is out. One of them was actually putting up Christmas decorations, and thankfully that was done as of last night. I don't know how many things are on my list, but I do know that I had to cut myself off or the list would never ever be completed.

One of the things I've been working on in stages (cleaning out the pantry), and have made it down to the topmost and bottommost shelves. This morning I had a few errands to run in North Raleigh, so I made a brief stop at The Container Store to get two shelves to help arrange the rest of the mess.

The Container Store has to be one of the most wonderful places in Raleigh. I think it might even rank higher than a bookstore and a quilt store, both of which are very high on my list of fantastic places. I was thankful I had very limited amount of time, a budget, and a very specified need or I might not have ever gotten out of there.

A few years ago I made out a list for each month of projects that I wanted to do for the year. It stressed me out a little (because I actually published it on the blog as a sidebar), but I found at the end of the year I actually got quite a few things done. I don't think I'm going to publish the list this year, but I do think listing my projects helps me get them done a little faster. If nothing else, it may actually help me FINISH a project (as opposed to cleaning half of the pantry and then half of the medicine cabinet and taking down part of the Christmas decorations) just so I can cross it off my list.

I plan to plod through my list of projects that I've plotted out for this year. I don't plan to break any records for speed, but I do hope to feel a tad bit more organized in life, even if that means cutting back/out some activities. 2014 may not have gotten off with the start I had hoped for, but I am pleased that I finally feel well enough to get something done!

Comments

Lydia said…
Oh wow. A container store!!! That would be heaven to me!! I'm constantly reorganizing and moving and adjusting just so we can keep fitting in this house.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut