Skip to main content

little things

I forget how "routine" our life is, until someone says or does something. And it's never big things; it's always the small things that make me realize how different our life truly is. Here's some examples:

1. Kitchen utensils - Bobby has an adapted spoon and fork. They almost always stay on the kitchen table. I do wash them, but if I don't put them back on the table, then it's a scramble at meal time trying to find where they are. I have to be on guard when we have adult guests who help clean off the table that they don't get dropped into dishwater or the sink (the holders aren't washable) or the dishwasher (or heaven forbid some obscure drawer). My Mom, who is a fanatic about cleaning, once took his spoon and holder totally apart so she could wash the entire spoon and not just the part that was used. We had quite a time figuring out how to put it back together. And I have had one person toss it in the trash (thankfully there was nothing icky on top!).  Kids always notice that his "tensils" are on the table (and are often tempted to play with them or at least try them on and see how they work).

2. Empty spots - It's funny. This is one that only seems to bother adults.  For obvious reasons, we don't have a chair in Bobby's spot at either table. On at least two occasions a friend has repetitively tried to put a chair in that spot while we were cleaning up the kitchen. I had never thought about the fact the table looks unbalanced with all the chairs to one side. I simply have no desire to move furniture around every single time we eat or sit down to do paperwork. This is our home where we live and is not a showroom. Less obvious, we have a gap in the living room furniture so Bobby can see the television from the kitchen table. I think we (at least I did) often take for granted how much we use our laps or do other things while watching tv, and since that is not an option for him, being able to use the table is very helpful. I will admit this is an area I often forget to check (to make sure chairs haven't been moved in the way). It's not a necessity in our life, but it is one of those things we do that make life a little easier.

3. Floor space - I learned early on in our relationship NOT to kick my shoes off at the door. That's an almost guarantee to have a pair of shoes destroyed. Opening and closing a door in a wheelchair is not an easy task and requires having ample room to move. Shoes beside an entryway are in the way. It doesn't matter how many times I tell guests not to leave their shoes at the door, they think they're being polite by doing so. We have a very open floor plan in our house, and people also leave things in the floor thinking there's plenty of room (guilty of this one myself) without realizing they've essentially blocked Bobby into one room. (and this one happens a lot with young great-nephews and nieces who drop toys and then don't understand why Uncle Bobby can't "come on!")

4. Driving - while Bobby's chair is waiting on repair parts, I'm driving his van. For the most part, it drives like a normal vehicle, but there are gadgets and adaptors that can't be removed that modify how I sit and hold the wheel when I drive. People don't think about those things (the turn signal switch that I use is in its normal place; there's a toggle switch near his shoulder for him to use and I've bumped that and turned signals on while driving) but they do make life a little bit different.

I don't think about these things very often, but yesterday we had a young guest in our house who casually observed "You didn't move Mr. Bobby's fork off the table." that reminded me of how different the little things in our life are. There not bad differences, just simply different.  But I'm thankful for them, for it helps me realize just how well we've adapted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut