Skip to main content

What's in a name?

Thirty plus years ago, something happened to Mom.
She came to the breakfast table and couldn't sit down for the pain. She couldn't turn, she couldn't bend, she couldn't move.
I think it's an understatement to say we kids were concerned and scared.
And our family slowly morphed into a new normal.

Mom would have "flair-ups" periodically after that. Sometimes they would last 2 days; sometimes a month. We learned that extensive housework (washing windows, mopping all the floors) made them worse, though we never quite seemed to convince Mom of that. Sometimes we were awesome children and would try to beat her to some of the chores to spare her back. Sometimes we didn't.

The doctor's treated for rheumatoid arthritis, though the bloodwork consistently showed she did not have it, and their treatments often helped. But not always. With no proper diagnosis and Mom's low tolerance for medicine, we had more than our share of interesting experiences at our house.

Fifteen years passed, my parents moved to SC, and a doctor filling in for Mom's regular doctor was NOT happy when he saw her huge chart. He began grilling her about her health, asking very specific questions that no doctor had ever asked her. He then asked her if she would be willing to undergo a round of tests. He suspected an auto-immune disease in the rheum-family, but wouldn't know until tests were done. He was right. For the first time we had a diagnosis (sjogren's syndrome), and as we read and researched, many things started clicking and making sense about her health that had puzzled us for years. He referred her to a rheumatologist, she began treatments, and for the first time we saw her health improve in many areas. The craziest part of it all? When her regular doctor came back, he was FURIOUS, told her this was all in her head, and chewed out the other doctor for trying to "take over" his practice.

Sadly, this reaction became norm. With every pastorate came a new doctor. With each new visit, she would hear "Oh, you don't have that. I'm sure you really have x,y, or z." And the bloodwork would be done again and again and again. Each time, her numbers would come back off the charts for sjrogen's. But more often than not, she would hear, "Well, you also have this, so let's focus on it."

Yesterday, she met with a rheumatologist who specializes in several auto-immune disorders that are in the same family. And for the first time since that first doctor, Mom felt like she got answers. And I think he was the first doctor not to say "Who told you had sjogrens?" or "You don't have that..."

At this point, we don't know if it's totally sjogren's or lupus, but we do know the treatments are the same for both disorders. He actually took the time to explain to her what many of us have been trying to tell her, that medicines have multiples uses. Just because a medicine says "anti-depressant" does NOT mean that is all it can be used for, nor does that mean it's being used to treat depression. He actually explained that to her in terms she would understand, and agreed that if it caused emotional changes then she needed to stop taking it.

And like Mom said last night, "I really don't care what this is called. I just know I need help."  I don't care if they name this illness cookie breath, I just want her to find something that will help alleviate some of her pain. Realistically, I know she will never be totally pain-free again on earth. But I would like to see her have more than two good days a week.

It's been over thirty years. The fear doesn't grip me like it did then.  But my heart still aches for her.

Comments

Jennifer said…
wow, I'm sorry she went through so much. My dad went through that many many years ago when they were trying to find out what he had. Back then they didn't know much about MS and it took them awhile to finally diagnose him. I will keep her in my prayers.
Lydia said…
Oh, Monica. I know that is tough. And rough on her and your dad. I'm praying.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut