Skip to main content

dentist

I didn't go to the dentist growing up. That was a luxury for rich people, or else a crisis if Mom spotted something wrong with our teeth. And you better believe she checked them regularly. We brushed, and brushed, and sometimes brushed again.

And then in middle school two things happened that changed all that for a little bit. One, I started having nose bleeds. Two, I popped my jaw out of place (thanks to chewing gum and cheering at the same time).  My Mom took me to the doctor, who was concerned that something else was wrong and might be causing the nose bleeds. He said he could feel something hard in the roof of my mouth that didn't feel right. And, my jaw was still out of whack.

By day four of not being able to eat anything nor talk without hurting (and facing the possibility of not being able to cheer at the next basketball game), I dumbly followed a classmate's advice and took my fist and gave my jaw quite a hard hit, literally popping it back in place. I do not recommend that. But it was back in joint, though I could hear fluid moving every time I moved my jaw.

Two days later, we arrived at the office of the oral surgeon, who advised me to a) never chew gum and cheer again, b) not hit myself anymore, and c) not to tell anyone else how I got my jaw back in place or he'd be out of work.  He did some x-rays of my mouth, and I discovered that I was abnormal.

The tooth that never wanted to grow back after being pulled and when it did was 3/4 the size of the one next to it and that made all the boys laugh at me in elementary school?  Turns out that wasn't my permanent tooth after all. I simply had an extra tooth, and my permanent tooth is still in the roof of my mouth. The surgeon wanted to pull the small tooth, put me in braces, surgically attach bands to the correct tooth and pull it into place (which would take at least 6 months, followed by two years of braces). My mom refused. She informed him my tooth had served me well for many years and there was no point in having surgrey for vanity's sake. In the back of my mind, I also knew my family simply didn't have the money.

Fast forward several years. My godparents were home from Africa, and my Mom was sharing with them what all the doctor had said. Whether they realized I never opened my mouth when I smiled then or not I don't know, but they offered to pay for the procedure if I wanted it done. Mother asked me about it after I left. I knew her reasoning, but I also wanted to have a normal smile, too. I could see the pain in her eyes, and deep down I knew her reasoning for not having the surgery was valid, so I refused it.

I was reminded of all that today. We had our regular check-up with the dentist (my husband is crazy adamant about that, which I despise to no end) today. There was a new hygenist, and as always, and which I'm momentarily puzzled about, she got confused as she was cleaning my upper teeth. As I've reached adulthood, that "small tooth" has dropped lower in line and isn't as noticeable as it used to be. But it's still an incorrect tooth in the wrong place. So I gave her a brief explanation.  And when I left? She was still marveling that I do not have one cavity or filling. Never have, and I hope I never do.  But what she did say that did my inner heart good? My Mom was a wise woman and made a very smart choice. According to her, had they pulled the good little tooth and operated to pull my big tooth down, they most likely would have messed up the spacing in my mouth. She said people who pull teeth for looks (and not because of a medical reason such as a small mouth, etc) wind up having to return for touch up surgeries every 5-10 years. That wasn't the exact wording she used, but that's the summary of what she said.

So thanks, Mom. Thanks for being a good steward of not just our finances, but also of my teeth. :)

Comments

Jennifer said…
Joshua has a small mouth (very small) due to cleft palate and has teeth pulled for that reason. I have always, always hated my teeth. I have smalll teeth, a space between my front ones and just ugly teeth. I have always been so self conscious about it. I also thought no one would ever love me because of it. My brother/sister's teeth seem to be fine and normal, but I don't know what happened to mine. My parents could in no way afford braces, and we never even discussed that possibility with the dentist. For all these reasons, I hate the dentist and haven't been in years.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut