Skip to main content

horror stories

I'm starting to feel like I'm expecting...I keep hearing horror stories. We are excited to be entering a new chapter in our lives, while at the same time a little nervous. (Okay, maybe I should insert a disclaimer here and say that I'm nervous and excited while my husband is his normal calm self.) No matter where we go, someone who knows this date is approaching feels the incessant urge to tell us about some poor housewife who almost goes crazy with her husband at home all day long and either gets a job or makes him get one. We smile, laugh, make a joke, and I inwardly sigh. Do I expect there to be some adjustments down the road? Of course. Every stage of life brings some. But I also expect to enjoy this. I'm looking forward to having Bobby at home, to having someone to pester  give me feedback on ideas or tell me whether or not I have the right color of thread.

The reality is: my life probably won't change all that much. I'll still be a caregiver and housewife, still have chickens to feed and eggs to gather and a pen to clean occasionally; there'll still be a dog to handle (more on Buster tomorrow), the laundry isn't going to go away, nor will my list of projects. My level of  housework will increase some as there'll be more tiretracks to sweep up throughout the house, but I'll probably have a little more time as I imagine someone other than me will be using the computer. :)

It's hard to imagine that today is my last "normal" day. Tomorrow we join Bobby's immediate office for lunch, then I'll take down all his pictures and scrub all the ink stains his special pen has left on the desk. I don't think Amanda wants a messy desk on her first day in her new office. Then Thursday morning I'll head to his office to take pictures of his last commission meeting, and they'll be a reception for everyone he's ever worked with plus family. When we get home tomorrow night, he will be on his last week of "sick leave", and on March 1st his retirement will become official.

I was looking forward to his first week at home so we could get into some type of routine and rest a little, when I got a text from my Dad last night that Mom is having surgery again next Tuesday. I wasn't able to be there for them at all this last year during her surgery and aftermath, so we'll be heading to AL sometime in Feb or March to help out some. I'm thankful that the timing is working out after his retirement and not before (his work load has been a little crazy this month), and I'm trying to get stuff done here around the house in case we get a phone call telling us to come early. And so the ending to this chapter of our life is ending with quite a bit of activity!

Comments

Jennifer said…
I think it's great that he will be home. I think i could handle Jack being home if we had a bigger house so we weren't running into each other
Lydia said…
I'll be praying for your mom. Keep me updated! I LOVE when Rich is home. It's my favorite:) Y'all will love being together more!!!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut