Skip to main content

When I grow up...

During my childhood, I was blessed to know many women who started new hobbies/careers late in life. So even now, I'll say "When I grow up, I want to..." and people, especially kids, will look at me in the strangest way.

Two years ago I had a very startling reality check that should I live to my eighties (when most healthy people in my family seem to die), then my life was halfway over. While it was shocking, it was also a very good motivator. I've started doing some things I've always wanted to do but just never seemed to have the time for.

I don't know if I will ever do any of these things, and some of them are NOT realistic at all, but here's my future career list:
  • quilt shop owner
  • restaurant owner
  • nurse, working on something like the Mercy ship
  • an author
  • a publisher
  • house supervisor at a children's home
As you can tell, I won't accomplish most of these. And that's okay. But I am VERY thankful to live in a country where educational opportunities, even for frivolous things like quilting and art and writing, do not end with formal education. We are blessed with so many opportunities. When I think of how many countries I would not even be able to read, much less write, because I am a girl, it almost takes my breath away. In college I often wondered why God blessed me so much by having me born as an American when there are so many smarter and more talented people in this world who don't even have one-fourth of the opportunities I have been gifted with. It's startling, and also makes me want to treasure every opportunity that comes my way.

Comments

Lydia said…
Hah! My list is pretty long!
Run an orphanage or children's home
Be a foster parent
Run a nursing home
Run a mercy ranch for animals no one loves
Own a Christian coffee house and bakery with open mic night
Own a used bookstore
Have a booth at an antiques mall

They would all be called Lantern Waste. Because where there is light, there is never a waste...and because I love CS Lewis:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut