Skip to main content

new territory

After our robbery last summer, I finally got in gear at the beginning of winter and started finalizing the process of learning more about self-defense. The more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn. But the biggest surprises have been the discovery that many of my pre-conceived ideas are wrong.

Idea #1: Small guns are better.
Whenever I envisioned myself as a gun owner, I always thought I'd have the tiniest gun possible. Boy was I wrong! The day I had some introductory lessons with a friend, I kept eyeing the smallest handgun they had (which in my opinion still wasn't small), and when I finally got to hold it and learn to shoot it, I absolutely hated it. HATED it. It felt awkward in my hand, I was scared of dropping it or shooting myself, my fingers more than swallowed all the safety feature buttons, and I felt myself becoming apprehensive. When my friend handed me her personal handgun later, I thought I'd hate it even more because it was SO big, but the instant it hit my palm, it felt right. As I've researched different brands and styles, I'm finding that the smaller guns are actually the least accurate in shooting. And the two times we've been to stores and looked at things, it was the larger handguns that "felt right".  Yesterday I couldn't help but laugh when a friend said, "You don't choose the gun. It chooses you."  I actually understood what she meant. Had you told me 20 years ago I'd be looking at the top 5 brands on my list, I'd have thought you were absolutely crazy.

Idea #2: It's easy to buy a gun.
I've completed paperwork, paid a fee, stood in line for 30 minutes on 2 different occasions and received paperwork that must be submitted when I purchase - to buy a gun that can only be on my property. If I carry it to a firing range, it has to be stored in a locked case in the trunk of my car until I arrive. To have a gun under the seat of my car, in the glove compartment, or on my person, I have to take an 8 hour class (which is not cheap) that includes a shooting test, pay to be fingerprinted, sign a release to have any mental records checked, fill out a three page form, pay another fee, and stand in lines at least two more times. I really don't mind all these safeguards, but to hear the media talk, I only have to walk into a shop with some money. It really doesn't work that way, at least not in NC.

Idea #3: Gun cabinets are pointless.
I've always wondered why people harped about having guns locked up. Most of the ones I've seen have glass covers so you can see the guns. (Think China cabinet, but for men) For serious collectors, I've seen the safes that are taller than me (and that cost an arm and a leg). But for something you plan to use at a moment's notice, having to get a key before you find the ammo and load seems like a waste of precious seconds. And if you've ever had to shoot at a fox or coyoted in the hen house, you know that every second counts. But as I've started thinking about safety and other issues, I realize the need for gun locks and safes. The coolest thing I've seen?  A biometric safe that only opens when the owner places their hands in the slots. It reads their fingerprints. It's not cheap, but I think if I'm going to waste money on a safe, that's the safest and easiest to use.

I told Bobby the other day that I feel like guns are a lot like fishing: everyone has their own opinion about what is best. But I have found that over and over I keep hearing experienced owners advising to get what you feel most comfortable with, because if you're not comfortable with it, you're not likely to use it, not even for practice.

If anything, I've learned reality often changes ideals. Who knows what I'll think about all this when it's all said and done. But for now, it's an interesting, and a bit intimidating, journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut