Skip to main content

forward and backward

Perhaps I remember visits to the eye doctor more vividly than the general practitioner because  I wasn't sick when I saw the eye doctor. Growing up we attended teh Alabama School of Opthamoogy. The visits were cheap compared to most eye doctors, but you were checked out twice: one by s student doctor and once by his teacher/supervisor.  For the most part, it was a positive experience, except for third grade. It was summertime, that room was COLD, they left me in there for the longest kind of time imaginable (I watched two cartoons ont eh screen as opposed to one and still had time  to examine every single piece of equipment in that room before climbing bqack iup in my seat and daydreaming and debating whether to poke my head out in the ahllway and yell "Does anybody know I'm here?"
I don't remember whether or not that was the year the student stormed out o the door saying "That's not possible!": and I had to redo EVERY SINGLE TEST with the regular doctor as opposed to the basic eye stuff. i do know that was the year I had to start wearing glasses all the time instead of just for reading adn looking at things for away.That year I got to pick out my own frames, and I thought they were the coolest glasses on the planet. They were Holly Hobby, and the sides swooped like an S. They had pink and purple and green mottled with bron, and I thought I was the coolest kid int he world. I look back now and cringe.
Today was my normal check-up. I missed last year'sexam, so decided I better do it this year. LIke the last six years, the exam doesn't take as long, I can read the smallest line iwthout help, and there's no longer a guessing game or using all th etest tricks I developed a s a child to figure out whether I'm staring at a B, an 8, or a 3 or P.  There's no meeting with someone who has perfect vision trying to help you see without your glasses as you pick out frames, no contact orders. I just paid the bill and left. And that was nice. I wish I had had the lasik surgery sooner.
And I got what is becoming the standard spill from any doctor. Yeah, the encouraging you're getting older and your body is going to start changing (in this case I'll probably need reading glasses again in the next four years, blah, blahd).  But for now, my vision is fine. Well, other than having dilated eyes and not being able to read anything at the moment (including the computer screen or whatever it is I'm typing.)
And that is still a new experience for me and one that I'm learnin to like.
:)

Comments

Lydia said…
I didn't know you had lasik!! Good for you! And I HATE having my eyes dilated- I get the worst headache afterwards.....thanks for reminding me that I need to go...

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut