Skip to main content

cave day

Within the first few years of marriage, my husband calmly looked at me and said without any condemnation, "I think if caves had electricity, you'd be happy living in one, far away from people." or something to that effect.
And there have been many days I've met him at the door or called him at work and semi-jokingly asked "Do you have my cave ready?"
It doesn't mean that my day has been bad, or that I'm upset with anyone.
It simply means some days I find humanity overwhelming.
As in I stay off Facebook because I'm tired of all the comments trivializing the important and maximizing the trivial.
As in I long to hear/read international news and all we hear in American media is a rehashing of the same old problems that we've yet to solve.
As in I hear a lecture with a group of people, and I'm the only one who didn't find it awesome.
As in I feel out of sorts in my world, as if I'm the square peg for a board that only has round holes.
But those feelings don't enable me to clean up the kitchen, or finish another load of laundry, or give me a burst of energy to deal with my crazy dog. And as much as I love rainy days, I don't think my joints would care for living in a damp cave.
So I'm offering up a prayer of thanks for our airy, spacious house, and am very thankful that today I'm not a Chinese woman living with my husband, small child, and elderly in-laws in a one bedroom 900 sq. foot apartment. Their bathrooms are "squat pots" (rubber skids on either side of the floor over a horizontal urinal...you squat over it and pull a string -think old time light fixture strings - to make it flush), so there's no such thing as escaping to the bathroom for privacy.
Yes, there are much worse things than a hermit not having a cave.

Comments

Lydia said…
I'm with you most days, believe it or not. Sometimes I have to force myself to interact with people- it is a CONSTANT battle, I do it because I love Jesus and the church...and the lost. But I'm all for being a square peg who needs to live in a cave once in a while....I get it:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut