Skip to main content

I'm H-A-P-P-Y

That children's song always makes me laugh (because all the kids get tickled and shocked about singing "P-P" together).  But today, it fits!

Last year was a difficult year. Through all the different things we faced, I re-gained every pound I had lost over the last year and a half, and then some. The second week in December, I had a wake-up call of sorts. With my husband's support and encouragement, we made some adjustments to our diet. I thought I would never get through the holidays, but I did, and didn't gain a pound. The weight is not coming off as easy as before, but my blood pressure is slowly coming back down (110/82 today!) and I have to keep my mind focused on the road ahead and not the path behind.
I do not enjoy exercise. Never have, and probably never will. But then, I also don't enjoy cleaning the bathroom, but it still has to be done.
Monday I got a phone call from one of my doctors. I was expecting part of the news, but was quite upset to hear the other: she was unhappy with my cholesterol levels (both the good and bad have dropped 10-15 points - good in my book, but the ratios made her unhappy). I felt like the last 2 months had been in vain. The next day I bought a chocolate chip cookie and a Dr. Pepper. The cookie tasted salty and the Dr. Pepper didn't have quite the same flavor it used to have. I wasn't sure whether to be happy or disappointed. I ended up only drinking 1/4 of the drink that day.  Today I had a follow-up with my general practitioner, only to find out he is temporarily satisfied with the results. I did get the usual "You've got to be good" lecture, but this time he gave more basic food principles, which I already knew, but it was good to be reminded that I'm on the right path. As for the cholesterol, he said they were still within normal levels and if I continue to eat right and exercise I should be okay.
The coolest thing...seeing the frame in his office today. It's a duotone painting that resembles a child's drawing - a blue tree that has been chopped in half, with a small green shoot coming from the side. Above it is the Bible verse "He makes all things new." (from Rev 21:5)  I SO needed that reminder and encouragement today! No matter how frustrating, how hard, or how challenging, with God's help I can do this! And I like the reality that a growth is always smaller than the stem or original product. Growth is small and hard, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Now if there were just some way to make bread and sweet tea taste bad...

Comments

Jennifer said…
sweet tea already tastes bad!! ha ha! Good for you, Monica! Don't feel bad. I've been spending 5-7 hours a week in the gym and my weight isn't coming off either. I don't enjoy excercise, but I do enjoy the cardio dance.....it's so much fun I forget I am working. Hopefully both of us will see some more results soon:) Hang in there....you are doing great and I am proud of you.
Lydia said…
Jennifer is funny. Sweet tea is DELISH!!! But I only allow myself to have it when I am at a sit-down restaurant which is only a few times a year. Or when someone else makes it and serves it:) I am so proud of you for not gaining weight during the holidays- that is a HUGE deal, even skinny minnies gain weight during that time of year!! And yay for your blood pressure being better!! I wish you would come work out with me:) I think you would like step aerobics, the important thing is to get your heart rate up and to SWEAT! Love you!!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut