Skip to main content

I just might pop

Last Sunday I had the following conversation with one of my little friends who was being VERY still in a chair:

Me: How are you this morning?
B: Both good and bad.
Me: Really?  Tell me what's good about this morning.
B: shrugging, mmm, Life's just good.
Me: Okay, what's so bad?  expecting to hear he just got in trouble for running at church
B: My stomach hurts.  Clearly NOT what I was expecting!
Me: That is bad.  Is it a "I ate too much" hurt or an "I'm hungry" hurt?
B: looking very serious, Well, I did eat half a bowl of cereal this morning. 
Me: uncertain as to whether he's full or not and holding jr church candy: Would a piece of candy help?
B: sitting straight up in his chair, NO! That would make me hurt even worse!!!

I guess I certified myself as crazy, offering candy to someone with a hurt stomach.  Doesn't Mrs. Monica know ANYTHING?  While I've laughed to myself some over that interaction, I've thought about it quite a bit these last two weeks in other ways.

These last two weeks have been both good and bad. It's been a great time of reflection and thanksgiving, of rejoicing over the growth and baptisms of new converts in our church, and simply enjoying life. But in the midst of all that there's also been reflections on situations beyond our control. Sometimes it seems like my life is this neatly bundled package, and I'm interacting with people whose packages aren't so tidily put together. I know what Scripture says, and what the morally correct thing is, but sometimes I fear others only focus on our package and not the One who wrapped it. They want the pretty package, but they don't want to hand over the ripped paper or strings to the One who can take ripped things and tape them or tie them in ways only He can do.

And I hurt for them. But in the midst of it all, I'm reminded again of John 6. After performing miracles and speaking truth, many of Jesus' disciples quit following him. They just up and quit. They didn't like what he had to say.  Jesus turns to his 12 and asks "Are you going to leave, too?"  and they respond "Where would we go?  You've got the Words of Life."  In the midst of hearing people say, "I don't like this; I don't fit in; this isn't for me; I don't want to believe this" I am comforted by the fact that the words of life have not changed, and the WAY has not changed. No matter how many quit or leave, it's a bit comforting to know there's nowhere else to go but to Christ. And even if He decides to decorate my life's package with methods that aren't pleasant to me, I can rest assured that He's in charge of the tape and the scissors, making things as they ought to be.

And in the midst of all these rambling thoughts, a friend of mind posted a VERY challenging post on prayer, reminding me that my greatest duty to these friends is not so much what I say TO them, but FOR them. And so I continue to feel like that pop rock candy we ate as kids: popping with too many thoughts, feelings, and emotions, both good and bad, but SO thankful I can talk to the one who has the power to say, "PEACE...be still."


Comments

Jennifer said…
wonderful post, Monica

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut