Skip to main content

this week

Monday afternoon we had an absolutely delightful thunderstorm. I was actually caught up on housework so grabbed a book and stretched out to read. And then the ceiling shook. Badly. And our smoke detector that has not worked for several (umm...wow...years) started going off. And the lights flickered/popped. When all was said and done, we lost our answering machine and two landline phones, my external hard drive and part of my sanity.
After spending 1.5 hours on the phone with AT&T, replacing a cord, spending an entire DAY copying files that I had not got around to backing up yet, and finalizing some design work that needed to be done soon, I made it to Best Buy today. Turns out AT&T was wrong. There was nothing wrong with our computer, nor the internet card. There was one setting that re-installed itself, and it worked fine. My hard drive...we were able to salvage its guts (and yes Richpo the Magnificent, if you're reading this, I realize that's not the techie term for it). I did have to purchase a new skin for it, but all its contents are now safe at home on my desk, still in their new box.
So we now have internet (after a brief and frustrating experience of the computer not wanting to recognize the keyboard so I could re-login to everything!), and I am so very thankful that we didn't have to get a new computer or send this one off for a month again while we wait for repairs. I had actually entertained the possibility if we had to replace our black and silver monster, then perhaps it was time to disconnect from the world. And that is an interesting and perplexing thought indeed. I'll save those ponderings for another day. Meanwhile, it's good to be viral. :)

Comments

Lydia said…
Wow- and we didn't hardly feel the storm just down the road....glad you didn't lose your hard drive!!
Monica, you are the epitome of viral, if nothing else.

You know there are programs (the thingies that come on the shiny, round golden discs) that you can install to automatically back up files for you?

And by the use of your exquisite computer vocabulary I probably don't need to mention this, but they do sell good surge protectors to protect phone and electrical lines from transient electrical spikes? And I'm not talking about the cheapo stuff you can buy at RadioShack or WalMart. The good ones are pricey but definitely worth every penny. Especially if it staves off a Monica Meltdown.

Oh, and it's Richpo the _Un_magnificent. Just so you know... ;-)
Monica said…
Rich, Bobby says you are welcome to recommend programs or protectors.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut