Skip to main content

hmmm

Well, yesterday's post was deleted by Blogger's technical difficulties. so here's the long and short of it:
Ezekiel 16:12 - it's okay to pierce your nose.
And no, I'm not doing it, although I think the minute studs and minuscule rings are really cool.

And on to today: I was very thankful to overhear people talking in the doctor's office about their displeasure of having Lady Gaga perform on American Idol. Like them, I was pleased at how Scotty performed, that he took what advice she had that was worth something and used it, and that he recognized her as the Proverbs 1 woman that men should avoid. After scanning the internet I realized just how much a minority I was in and how depraved our country truly is. And the more I think on her performance, the more I've come to this conclusion: it doesn't matter how well you sing or how many your records you make, if you dress, talk, and act like a prostitute, you are one. I don't understand why so many mothers think it's okay for their girls to watch and desire to be like the "stars" today. Jennifer Lopez may be a sweet judge on American Idol and have a beautiful physique, but her video and performances are/were overtly sexual, as were Taylor's and some of the other performers. Why can't they just be good musicians and not pimps and prostitutes?

I'm a little disappointed to have obligations this weekend so that I can't attend the free Scotty concert. (And I hope all the traffic on the road tomorrow won't mess up Abigail's wedding!) But on the flip side, I was a little startled to read the advice from another small town to Garner's police: "Your number one problem will be ten and eleven year old girls."  REALLY?  WHERE are the mothers? Sometimes I truly wonder what this world is coming to.  And then someone like Scotty comes along, reminding people that morals and values and faith and a good upbringing DO make a difference. Go Scotty, Go!

Comments

Jennifer said…
He cracked me up dealing with Gaga! I wish I could go tomorrow too, but I certainly don't want to sit around for 2 hours.
Becky said…
ditto!!
I was seriously appalled and saddened by Lady Gaga. Not only is it horrible for our kids (and adults) to be watching, but she must have such a low view of herself to act the way that she does.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut