Skip to main content

chatter

Scottymania has hit Garner. Big time.

Our town has a population of about 24 or 25,000.  We had 30,000 here for the Scotty parade on Saturday. That doesn't include the 500 waiting at the radio station at 8am, nor the lines at AT&T or Lowe's Foods where he worked. I think it's sweet that stores are putting "Go, Scotty, Go!" on their billboards or "We love you, Scotty!" It's nice that our town is behind their own.  When I saw the sign at Timber Drive Elementary, where he attended school as a child, that was neat. And then you see the sign at the YMCA, Heather Hills Clubhouse, the red and white painted sign with some crazy message about country music on the side of the road propped up against the trailer park mailboxes, and it becomes a little bit funny.

But then you go somewhere. Doesn't matter where. Church, Target, the gas station, a restaurant, the gym, the Garner Republicans meeting, and EVERYBODY is talking about Scotty...how proud they are, how awful Gaga is/was, how he's such a level-headed kid, how awesome it was to hear a young person talk about God, to share his faith, reminding people to vote!  You'd think it was election year, but without the mud-slinging.

And I'll watch with a little trepidation what I can on Wednesday night. I want to see how they portray my hometown. I know they made him re-do his entrance at Garner Senior High, and they DID allow him to go to his prom after all, and he posed with his half-empty jug of Bojangle's Sweet Tea near the airport, but will they show that? Will they show the tract his church passed out with his testimony? Will they hear him quoting Bible verses from his devotions or talking about his youth pastor? Will they air his meeting with Josh Turner and his comments that one of the things he admires the most about JT is his faith?  Somehow I fear those things will not be shown in Hollywood. But 30,000 people heard it. Everyone who watched WRAL heard it.

And I'll join the throngs in voting in 2 nights. No, I won't stay up late and vote a gazillion times. But I am proud of our 17 year old local kid for being a David in a Goliath world. And if for no other reason, even my mother-in-law who is (16 by her count, but that breaks down into at least 3.5 scores plus if you use the old English way of counting) quite adept at texting is voting. And she'll ask, like everyone at the gym, did you vote?

Comments

Jennifer said…
I love him. I did hear him talk about God and why he liked JT. I will vote just because of that. I can't wait to see it tomorrow night, but you are right....they won't show it. I'd LOVE to get my hands on one or two of those tracts....do you happen to have one? I'd love to keep one.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut