Skip to main content

applique

For those of you not familiar with quilting, applique is where you take one piece of fabric and sew it on top of another (instead of matching the ends of the two fabrics). In quilting, there are four styles of applique that I know of, though I don't know the name of any of them. One style, seen here, gives the pattern a folksy, country, or kiddie feel.  Often quilts for children that have bugs, butterflies, dragons, or the traditional Sun Bonnet Sue quilts will employ this technique. A lot of machine applique also uses it. Quilts done in this style are not for heavy duty use (or machine washing) as the edges can still ravel. But as wall hangings or on beds that are seldom used, this is an easier method that has a gorgeous result.

I loved the bright colors in this exhibit quilt, which is both pieced and appliqued.
Here's a close up of the applique. You can tell it is machine stitched by the
consistently even stitches and the way it leaves gaps in the top material.
Another style is what I learned in class last year. I think it was called a blanket stitch but I'm not sure. The stitches are supposed to be hidden, so you only see the finished "picture".  Here's an example from the Quilt Show:


I was so impressed with this quilt! you don't see the stitches on the fish, it has perfectly rounded corners (which are hard to do!) plus extremely small circles!  Look at that eye! I can't help but wonder whether or not fabric paint or a polka dot swatch was used for the white point of the eye. Or maybe an embroidered french knot? I also adored how they embroidered the name of each fish on the quilt.
It's possible the fish itself (the different colors) was pieced, but it was clearly appliqued onto the back fabric!
The next display quilt is one of my favorite styles. I  hope to attempt something similar one day, though it certainly won't be this pattern. I overheard one lady pondering how many years it took for these quilts to be made, and all I can say is "This one took quite a few."  (unless that was all she did for months upon end)


I also saw a form of applique I had never heard of before (and also want to try one day...big surprise, huh?). It's called reverse applique.  I youtubed it this morning and think it is doable (though again, I wouldn't do this pattern).  It's just as much work as the normal applique, but I think it gives the quilt a dimensional feel.

Can you tell how the bird looks like it's sewn beside the fabric instead of on top of it?



And last, but certainly not least, another of my favorite display quilts. This one employed all different styles of quilting, including various appliques.


Notice how the outer circle is on top of the quilt but you don't see stitches?  That's your basic applique. But see how the center of the sun is below the rest of the material?  That's reverse applique...So cool!

and a close up of the sun with it's sequins
More basic applique, but I love how they used a yo-yo for the flower,
adding dimension (as does the folded fabric next to it).
And I'll take about new trends of stitching in quilts tomorrow (this is one of them), but I love how the colored thread on a dark background gives this quilt an embroidered look from a distance. You don't see the threads too far away, (see the first pic of this quilt and you won't see it at all), but it pops when just a step or two away.
There is one other type of applique being used in modern quilts, but since it used mainly in another genre it'll be showcased on another day. It is a time saver, but means the quilt can only be used as art and is not washable. I hate to make something so big that is not practical. That seems to defeat the purpose of quilt. I like for things to be both beautiful and functional. So I hope you've enjoyed day one of the "good" quilts from the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival.

Comments

Lydia said…
I love the reverse applique quilt with the birds. Gorgeous! Do they sell quilts at this show or just SHOW them?
Monica said…
Normally just show them. But each quilt has a card beside it telling who made it(the person or quilter's guild) and where they are from, so you could contact them if you wanted to purchase or place an order. 1/3 of the exhibit hall was the showing of quilts from various competitions and artists, the other 2/3 was vendors selling various quilting supplies, though there was 2 vendors actually selling antique quilts for people who collect them. I think upstairs there were classrooms for the lectures and classes for people who attended all three days of the event.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut