Skip to main content

learning to say no

I've come a long way in learning to tell people no, in not worrying about whether or not I please people. But I still find it very hard. Six years ago, if someone had made a request that seemed simple in the beginning but then turned into a monster task, I would have come home, griped to my husband, then worked myself insane the next five weeks trying to make it happen. Last night I actually told a person "That's impossible."  and then I felt bad about it all the way home.
The person wasn't trying to be over-bearing; she simply had no idea in what was involved in the task. Once I explained the amount of time and expense involved, she immediately went into administrative/problem solving mode, which I respected and admired. And yet, here I am, the next morning, and I wonder if my attitude was too negative or harsh instead of moving on with my day.
I'm trying to be less Martha and more Mary, to find the balance between quiet time and busy time. And yet so many times I feel the more I strive to become still, the more people push my way.  And I feel somewhat guilty for saying that. I enjoy helping others, and can truly understand what it is like to be stuck without transportation (been there!) and need a ride or help. I know what it's like to be sick and miserable and have the house a mess and needing someone to come in and help with Bobby. And I enjoy the occasional day of watching a child or children. Those things are all nice, but in small doses. There are weeks when I actually have things that need to be done and as much as I want to help, I must say no.  Most people are gracious and understanding. Others act flabbergasted, as if they are doing me a favor by asking me to help. I find it a little easier to say no to those people (doesn't say much for my hospitality skills, does it?), but I still wonder sometimes if I should attempt to squeeze them in my already overcrowded day.
And perhaps that is the problem. As my husband likes to remind me, I have little concept of time. I tend to over commit, thinking I can get everything done when it's simply not possible. I'm striving to learn to be a "keeper of the home" and I'm finding that means saying no to people. That's especially hard when the event or request you're saying no to has a spiritual theme or reason behind it. But I'm slowly coming to grasp that Sara Grove's song "Audience of One" is more and more true.  I can't worry about others and what they want and expect from me.  "This journey is my own" and I have to do what is right and pleasing for God, regardless of whether or not it meets the expectations of others.  And for me, that is a struggle indeed.

Comments

Lydia said…
Good post. I go through major periods of "over committing" myself also. And I'm STILL learning what it means to be a keeper of the home and also have the balance of being a keeper of friends and family,if you know what I mean. This is real life and it isn't easy...
Jennifer said…
this is one reason I try to to ask for help with my kids or any other thing. People say yes and they really don't want to do it, or it puts them in a bad spot. I have a hard time telling people no too! I am glad you were able to do so!
Monica said…
LOL! And all this time I thought it was 'cause I've terrorized Josh so much! :) I'll never forget his panic about me driving him to school! He cracks me up.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut