Skip to main content

faithfulness

While talking to my aunt on her birthday, she mentioned that they were going through albums trying to find photos of family members in their service uniforms. My cousin had been in a house where they took one wall and made it a wall of honor, with pictures and clippings of close family members who had been in various branches of service. Really liking what she saw, my cousin has decided to do her own version.

My aunt has always been the family historian, and as we got to talking I realized I had a few things she didn't. In 2003, my cousin was sent to Iraq. Stationed at Camp LeJeune, he was not willing to leave his car and belongings in storage on base for six months, so Bobby's Uncle went with me to pick his car up and bring it here. (I can't drive a stick shift.) During the time he was gone, I saved every newspaper that mentioned the war, anything about his unit, or a unit that could possibly be his. So the last few days I've been scanning in articles and photos to compile to a CD. And yesterday, I spent a fair amount of time searching for one photo in particular.

Yahoo did an AWESOME job during the Iraq War of mounting photos daily. One of the photos they had, and certainly not the worst photo, made me cry and led me to the throne of grace like only two other times in my life have. Six months later, I found out my cousin was in that photo. He's the one in the middle, trying to open a cookie:

The boy to the left, sitting with the gun is from Florida.  His hometown newspaper somehow recognized him, blew the pic up and printed it on the front page. His parents mailed him a copy. That's how Kev found out about the picture.  There's nothing worse than seeing a loved one in such squalor conditions.

But despite it all, while looking through all the newspaper clippings, I've been reminded of just how much our country has been through the last ten years, as well as how FAITHFUL or God is. He has never left us; never forsaken us. And that is impressive indeed.

Comments

Lydia said…
Good post. My brother often talks about the conditions of training and I'm blown away when I realize that training is so harsh because life in the military (especially in war time) can be harsher. Philip leaves for Afghanistan in a few months and I have no doubt that he will be sorely needed to tend to the hearts of those that have been through moments like you picture here. Your cousin is a brave man.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut