Skip to main content

el Buen Sabor

Don't ask me what the title of this post means. I think we decided on good spices or good flavors, but seeing as I've never studied Spanish I'm just taking someone's word for it.

Sunday night after church Bobby and I sauntered down the sidewalk to this little Mexican restaurant that has recently opened in the same building where our church meets. Dumbfounded would be a great description for our emotions (and maybe our faces?) when we walked in and discovered the entire menu was in Spanish. I knew the word for chicken, pork and taco (thanks to working at Taco Bell during college and having non-English speakers coming in for food), but that's about it. After a few minutes of discussing what we were seeing and neither one of us really having a clue, the lady holds up a folded piece of paper and says "We do have an English menu."  Instant relief!

I'm guessing this is true, authentic Mexican food. It was very different from what you normally get in a Mexican restaurant, was freshly made, but was good. Here's a sample of the menu:

Tacos, $2.00 (yeah, you read that correctly. But don't expect the hard corn shell like you buy in the stores or at other restaurants. These are home-made, soft tacos, but they didn't exactly taste like flour shells, either).
Options for fillers: grilled steak, chicken (which I had), marinated pork, tongue (Bobby's choice), barbecue, spicy Mexican sausage, pork brain, pork skins with Nopales (?), tripe (which is 25cents more).  There's not lettuce or cheese with the meat, but there is a side dish of avocado sauce, which was quite good, that you could add to the meat.

They also have Pupusas, with various fillings (anybody know what that is?), tortas, plates, burritos, picadas, gorditas, sopes, Guesadillas, and an interesting bottom listing of philly steak sandwich, fried tacos, tamalas, and Huevos (eggs cooked to order...so this must be eggs?). As I type this out from the menu, I'm finding this little 8 or 6 pt font that tells which items have lettuces with them. Guess I should have taken a little more time to read the menu!

We might try it again just so we can try the other items. This place is much pricier than we normally pay for Mexican food, but it's run by a family and made me feel as if I were off on an adventure. It was nice to branch outside of our normal routine. I jokingly tell people when it's just the two of you, everything you do is a date, but our venture into the unknown was fun and would definitely be classified as a "cool date".

Comments

Lydia said…
Fun! I love to try new places and new food. This place sounds really authentic!
Jennifer said…
tongue? what kind or tongue did Bobby eat? I like to try new places, but I don't think I would like to go to a place that I didn't know what I was getting and of course that wasn't kid friendly! I didn't even notice that one opened up. It must be on the far end. We usually park on the auto side or the back.
Monica said…
I'm pretty sure it was pig tongue (but it was cut up in little pieces). The bumps on cow tongues stand up more. I was just thankful he didn't order the pig brains!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut