Skip to main content

things that make me go hmmm

I'm trying to line my ducks up in a row for the day, and every time I hit "print", I get one line of text on a page, followed by the first page of full text.  Would it really be so hard for Google, or the printer company to have a "fit to page" button for these times when it truly wouldn't hurt to shrink things a little bit?

Meat for supper in the crockpot, and there may actually be time to knock out a dessert before gym class...brownies!  Yes!...um... no...they take 35 minutes and I only have 30....plan B

a Quilt show, 40 vendors from all over NC (and one or two from SC and VA), which I'm sure will have a gazillion cool things to look at and consider. And I have, um, well, I won't tell you how many quilt projects I currently have going.  Wouldn't it make more sense to stay home and use today to actually QUILT instead of tantalizing the senses by browsing?

And snow...I've lost count of how many "snowfalls" we've had this winter. (3-4...does it count if there's only two flurries? If so, then 5.  Does it have to stick longer than 2.5 hours?  Hmmm....would that be one or two?)  and now, one of our busy weekends for the month...it's supposed to SNOW!  Crazy.

And, last but not least, recently I was telling Bobby about this kid in my high school who in response to another student hauling his Bible and a soul-winning book around to every class (but seldom having his textbook or homework!), began carrying Satan's Bible.  Bobby looked at me like I was crazy and asked what the book was actually called, and I told him: "The Satanic Verses".  It amazed me the number of students who were terrified of him after he did that.  Bobby started laughing.  Evidently "The Satanic Verses", which was released while I was in high school, is actually a book about the Koran.  The author had to go into hiding because of the number of death threats he received from Muslims.  So all this time this boy was laughing at people running from him and calling him a "devil worshipper" when in reality he was simply reading a new bestseller about the evils of the Islamic religion.  Education.  There's nothing like it.

And I'm about 1/8 into "In the Land of Believers" (which I got for Christmas).  Written by an atheist of Jewish descent, the girl pretends to become a Christian at Thomas Roads Baptist Church (Falwell's church) and it's her account of what evangelicals are truly like. So far she's been nice in the way she has phrased things, honest, and has truly done her homework on what we "fundies" believe.  Once I finish I'll give a review.  Her deception bothers me to no end, but so far she's not being hateful in her writing style.

And that's my crazy list of random musings for this Friday.

Comments

Lydia said…
Yeah- I remember learning about Salman Rushdie- he has always fascinated me. Of course, naming a book the "Satanic Verses" is going to get a rise out of someone!! LOL! That's funny that the teachers at your high school didn't bother to set anyone straight, surely they knew better?

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut