Skip to main content

drop what you're doing

I've been reading through a book on hospitality by Annie Chapman. Early on, she mentions this passage from Genesis 18:

 6 So Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah. “Quick,” he said, “get three seahs[b] of the finest flour and knead it and bake some bread.”
 7 Then he ran to the herd and selected a choice, tender calf and gave it to a servant, who hurried to prepare it. 8 He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree.
Now, I don't know about you, but this would have probably irritated me. If you've ever made bread, even if it is unleavened bread, there's NOTHING quick about it. From my way of thinking, he should have offered the men dried fruit or something, and then I would have prepared an early supper. After all, about the time she finished cooking for the strangers and cleaned up her cooking area, it would have been time to start it all again. And can you imagine the servant's reaction? There is NO earthly way possibly to quickly slay, clean, butcher, and COOK a calf quickly.  All my life, every time I've ever read this passage I thought it was a perfect example of a man who has a very unrealistic view of life and how it operates.

Chapman uses this as an example of hospitality. There was nowhere else for the men to go, and rather than simply give them something to satisfy them to a later time, they prepared them a MEAL.  I have to admit that's not how I operate. I try to think of the most logistical and practical way to appease everybody without having to wear myself out in the process.   And I have to to tell you, making homemade bread on the spur of the moment for uninvited guests would NOT be the first thing that pops into my weary brain.

I am so thankful for freezers and frozen garlic bread and yeast rolls that we can purchase in the grocery store. And yet, I think it's more the principle that I should be concerned with...am I putting the needs of others before my own? Sadly, too many times the answer is no. The truth is I do have to be responsible with my time and put my family needs above others, but there are other times when I could have easily done something for others instead of using up my time clock.

We're not told Sara's reaction to Abraham when he came in with his request. Perhaps she was accustomed to it. Maybe she got angry. But we do know she did it. And I hope should I ever be strained and put to that hospitality test, I'll be as successful as she was.

Comments

Lydia said…
True hospitality always concerns sacrifice. Sarah certainly proved that! Homemade bread. cooking a calf- bet she didn't sit down at all that day!!!! I think so much of the time people get "entertainer" and "hostess" confused with hospitality....well, I've said all this on my blog multiple times:) Still something to daily strive for:)
And opening your home to four kids for a month while their parents are in Ukraine is the ultimate in hospitality. No one else I know would have done that.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut