Skip to main content

too funny not to share

Kids say the funniest things.

Yesterday we watched 5 munchkins for some friends, and we were laughing as we talked over the day last night. Here's a few snippets of conversations from the day:

L, 7 years old, while tending to medical needs and discussing medical stuff:

L: Has Mr. Bobby ever fallen off the bed?
M: Not out of this bed or since he's been in a wheelchair. He might have when he was a child. You'll have to ask him.
L: Was he in a wheelchair when he was a little boy?
Me: No, he was almost 25 years old when his accident happened. It was 31 years ago.
L: 31 years. Hmmm, that was before we came to your church.

The 5 year old twins, while discussing how "low" my (9ft) ceilings are and tossing Pooh and a stuffed squirrel up to see if they'd bounce:

B:  Wow, Pooh can hit the ceiling!
C: I bet if Mr. Bobby stood up out of his wheelchair, his head would touch the ceiling!
Me: Um, I don't think so.
B: But if Pooh can touch the ceiling Mr. Bobby could!
C: Yeah, he would touch the roof.
Me: No, if he could stand up, he could probably jump real high and touch the ceiling, but his head most certainly wouldn't touch the ceiling.

At this point I received very skeptical looks, shrugs, and faces that said Who are you trying to kid? Just how tall do they think my husband is? :)

And B received quite the shock yesterday. Before the snow came I filled one of the tubs half-full of water. Since we're on a well, if we lose power, we also lose water (because of the electric pump). I had totally forgotten about it.  During a game of hide and seek, he came hopping into the room with a sopping wet sock and pants leg. "There's water in your tub!  I climbed in to hide and got WET!" And if they needed convincing I'm crazy, the fact I started laughing probably did it. He just kept repeating "There's WATER in the tub!"

And my shock for the day: we had another first with Bobby's wheelchair. A child actually made it to the top  and STOOD UP ON THE HANDLEBARS OF HIS CHAIR!!! My heart froze and I could barely get a word out. Bobby heard me utter the name, and turned (unaware of where they were), sending the kid crashing to the ground (and narrowly missing the tv!). We had a quick lesson on where to stand and wheelchair riding safety tips. I am now of the mindset that parents must have very strong hearts or they would all be dead from heart attacks.

And last, but certainly not least, there's nothing more exciting than watching a child experience something new. Little Bit discovered the air vents. She was sitting on one when the heat kicked on, and was THRILLED. She scooted off, and put her head over it, off, over it, off, (letting it blow her hair out) and then began experimenting with placing things on the vent. Not sure where she found the bread tie, but after the air blew it off several times she managed to fit it inside the vent so it wouldn't blow away. Once the air went off she lost all interest. And I don't think I will ever see another cotton ball without hearing her exclamation of "FLUFFY!" I'm still finding "fluffies" all over the house.

And as we head out for the day, acknowledging that it's the last day of the year, I realistically don't think I'll finish up any more scheduled projects for the year. BUT... Bobby's quilt is now half-way finished! ;)

Comments

Lydia said…
Thank you SO MUCH for watching them- they LOVED staying with y'all!!! And the heart attacks slowed down after the boys hit age two. I just had to calm down about some things and they haven't gotten SERIOUSLY injured yet:) Sorry they gave you a scare!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut