Skip to main content

pumped and ready

I knew I wouldn't be home last night, busy tonight, and church Wednesday night, and since nighttime seems to be the best time to get things done, I disciplined myself yesterday and got a fair amount of things done on my list. So then it was off to choir practice. 

We were tired.  Dave & Sara fed us.  Sara made dessert!  Haystacks and then this chocolate water/caramel thing that was absolutely AWESOME!  I intentionally didn't have any caffeine, but I think between the food, the exhaustion from the day, and then just the fact we were all together at an unusual time made the choir, at least the altos, a little wound up.

I must admit, choir would be fun with just adults, but our teens take choir fun to a whole new level. When Dave, who is pleased with the new stage monitor, asks how well we can hear the sound, the teen standing next to it looks at him with a serious expression and says, "I can't hear anything."  Dave was horrified (I mean, it is a brand spankin new monitor!), and then realized she was joking.  (And if you ever wonder where their youngest gets some of her facial expressions?  Come watch Dave in choir practice.) And thus the night began.

I love music, and I love laughter.  We had both...two hours of it.  And the perfect ending to the night?  The song I've not cared for the most, which we crashed on the first time we sang, I've actually learned to like.  I guess between the rounds and the fast pace I've never totally gotten the tune until Dave began breaking it down on the piano at a slower pace.  And I LOVE it!  The harmony is awesome.  The words have always been fine, but now I like it even better. And I think less of a Jewish dance when I hear it.

I was singing all the way home, and was still wound up when I got home.  I felt a little sorry for Ellen having to get Danielle home and up on the bus by 6:15am this morning.  I imagine Danielle wasn't ready to go to bed when she got home, either!

And I'm still energized this morning.

Can you hear the sound of celestial laughter? 

Comments

Jennifer said…
at least the sapranos act more dignified (ha ha ha ha). I totally messed up that song too. I never realized I was singing the wrong note, even after listening to the tape. it will be a georgeous song once we get it all together. I just wish I could sing Keith's and the mens piece too. the music really sticks in your head!!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut