Skip to main content

my sinful evil nature

I could tell you that my sinful, evil nature means I am a glutton.  That would be true, but that's not what this post is about.

I could tell you that my sinful, evil nature means I can be slothful. (Don't you just love that old English word for lazy that makes you think of a porch slug?) But that's not what this post is about, either.

Today my sinful, evil nature has many words: meanness, orneriness, irritability, unkindness, or just plain old grumpiness.

I am an adult. I don't feel that old most days, but the reality is, I'm old enough that I'm considered old-school. Don't believe me?  You should have seen the looks on teenage faces over Thanksgiving when I told them they should turn their cell phones off before going to bed (as one teen had sent a garbled text to her boyfriend in her sleep and was showing it to everyone while others talked of being awakened to an incoming text or call during the night) and was met with shocked faces and stunned silences. Then one of the boys said, "And then how will the alarms go off in the morning to wake us up?"  Yeah, dumb me.  Cell phones have alarm clocks, or at least the cool ones do.  And kids today don't wear watches, either.  Who needs one when your phone gives you the time?

So I feel a little on the mature side. Until I come home. I have my nicely organized laundry, my "to do" list of activities, things I need to get done today and things I'd like to get done today, and then the phone call comes.  Someone who's trying to be helpful and loving, but in reality is checking up on us because we are unable to care for ourselves (see how mean-spirited I can be!) and I get more than a little testy/irritable/snippy with her on the phone. And I hang up and think 'ooh. I wasn't very nice."  But that can't be undone.

I don't like being told what to do.  I don't like have to explain my rationale for things and the way I do them to people.  Sometimes I know it has to be, but when it comes to running my own household...really?

It's not even 10:30am, and I've already blown it in the loving/kindness/graciousness department this morning.  His mercies are new every morning, and I"m SO thankful for that, because today I need an extra dose of them.

Comments

I'll let you in on a little secret. If someone does something to offend you then hold your breath and count to ten. Maybe you've heard of this before? ;-)

Or you can always just keep a Bible handy and flip to James 1:19 when in need. Or perhaps you're at that desperate stage where you need to bind a phylactery on your forehead with this verse in it? On second thought, that didn't seem to work too well for the Pharisees so maybe you better pass on that one. But I'll be sure to let you know if I come up with any other stupendous ideas!!!
Monica said…
You know, Rich, I actually KNOW that secret! But like my 6-year-old niece, "My brain loses it's signal" when I encounter this person at certain times. And since unlike the Psalmist I don't have a guard in front of my mouth, I've considered resorting to a staple gun. Needless to say, that's quite a fleeting thought! :)
Lydia said…
Everyone has that "someone" that means well but annoys them because they aren't REALLY thinking when they give you their opinions. Or at least they aren't thinking from your point of view. And it is EXHAUSTING having to explain your way of doing things and why to others. So...I just let people think badly of me. So be it- I know what I'm doing and it works for me:)
~Still learning to grin and bear it~

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut