Skip to main content

things that make me want to cartoon cuss

technology...

There's nothing more aggravating than upgrading your computer, only to find out that the new keyboard and mouse are absolutely not disability friendly. Our solution: keep using the old ones with the new hard-drive. Thank God for adaptors!

There's nothing more annoying than visiting FIVE different cell phone carriers and not A SINGLE ONE has a phone workable for moderately disabled fingers.  Sale clerks seem dumbfounded by the problem, and sympathetically shrug. Our solution: a cheap-o pay as you go phone from Wal-mart that we hot-glued an elastic strip to the back.

BUT, when "modern" technology on vehicles enters the scene, it's a whole new ballgame. Cell phones and mice are modified necessities.  A vehicle is an absolute necessity.  I really don't care that cars now have computer chip drives in them to make them safer.  I could care less that if the manufacturer grants permission to have things rewired they would be in major trouble with insurance companies, or attorneys or whomever else might have some freakish control thing going on. Just let us re-wire what needs to be done to make the vehicle safe for a disabled person to drive.  You think your stupid FOB is the way of the future?  All it does is make handicapped people struggle to enter buildings and vehicles.  Progress?  For WHOM?  And what companies consider "safe" more often than not means even more unnecessary work and produces potentially dangerous consequences for people who need every advantage they can get. And what REALLY gets my goat is when it's a medical adaptive equipment who is SUPPOSED to be HELPING people get around that makes some rule that actually HINDERS people from living as normal a life as possible. 

It's probably a very good thing that I don't have a phone number for Braun Enterprises tonight.  It's probably an even better thing that I don't know who the contact person is who has now twice denied a claim to modify "their" equipment. 

And Van Products of Raleigh...here's my shout out to you. THANK YOU for ALWAYS going the extra mile for us in trying to make things work IN OUR BEST INTEREST!!! I think it truly makes a difference when a company who sells disability products actually has people with disabilities working there.  They truly get it.  I'd be curious to know if Braun Enterprises has any disabled people working/selling their vehicles. I truly kind of doubt it.

Comments

Lydia said…
We haven't gotten to this point yet, but I am already understanding your frustrations. And equipent dealers that fail to communicate properly or tell you multiple different stories are HAIRY ARMPITS!!! (that's cartoon cussin')

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut