Skip to main content

health & sanitation ratings

One of the things I hated the most when I worked in food-related jobs was that the health department inspector always showed up to inspect during the busiest time of the day. Anyone who has ever worked in the food industry knows that anything between the hours of 11am and 1pm is NOT the time for an inspection. The inspector and his stupid little clipboard does not care that you have an irate customer who is mad because they stopped at Target on their lunchbreak and had to wait in line to check out and is now in danger of being late for work and is starting to yell at you because they've had to wait for their food for more than three minutes. (Like they could make a fresh burrito and taco or cook biscuits or eggs at home that fast, but that's another story.) Instead the inspector seems to think that you should be ever grateful that he's walking around the small aisle while you're trying to carry a hot pan quickly to its place without getting burned or spilling anything. He does not care that one of your co-workers is out with the flu and two others are out for the grandmother's funeral and so you are stacking the dishes on the sink until the noon rush is over and there's actually a moment to breath before the arduous job of washing them begins. He also doesn't care if the delivery truck pulls up while he's in the store and because the manager is busy doing his job of staying with him that the dumb delivery boy puts the boxes of food on the floor so he can make it to his next job and the inspector checks off points because they were on the floor a total of 10 minutes (and the drive-thru line is now backed out onto the road because we had to pull the headset person off of drive-thru to go move the boxes).
You're probably thinking, "WHAT on EARTH? Why is she on this tirade?"
WRAL does a restaurant rating every week. Some Asian store in Cary got a B rating. There were only three things wrong on the report, and one of them was boxes on the floor. I hate to tell the health people this, but insects and rodents can climb up onto shelves just as easily as they can a floor. Also, anyone who has ever farmed will tell you that when you harvest tomatoes, pears, peaches, apples, peas, or corn, you set the baskets or buckets full of food ON THE FLOOR! I've also been in a Chinese restaurant where during the middle of lunch rush an inspector showed up and chastised the lady for having two containers of chicken, one breaded, one not, on the kitchen counter near the grill. Um, I know the inspector was only concerned about the temperature of the kitchen, but had he known the least little bit about that restaurant and what time it was, he would have also recognized in the 5 minutes I stood in line just to order, that container not only came out of the refrigerator but was half-way emptied...in five minutes. That place stays that busy. It was lunch rush hour, and they would probably have another 30 customers in the next 10 minutes. That bucket of chicken was just one of many that would be cooked during the lunch hour. I've never wanted to tell a government worker what I thought of a situation so bad in my life.
I think this is yet another example of where the government has woefully overstepped its bounds. Our food and restaurants should be healthy places. But when you reach the extreme nitpickiness required for American restaurants today, we've got a problem. Because I've seen the health sheets that are filled out for restaurants, I'll eat in a restaurant that has a B sanitation grade. I'll hesitate, but I'm well aware that an overflowing garbage can is 1 point off. A cloth wet with nothing but water to wipe food off the counter in between making tacos and burritos left on the counter can cost you at least 2 points. Stopped to get a drink of water while washing dishes in the required 120 degree heated water? If you set that glass on the shelf over the sink, that's a serious health violation. So not everything on that list actually pertains to your food or things that would make you sick.
Now you know.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I listen closely to the restaraunt ratings. I agree with what you are saying, but sometimes they are not cooking their food to the right temps, which does concern me. I do however give the restaurant a chance. I probably would not eat at a B restaurant, but low A's don't bother me. You also have to see what their ratings were in the past....which may show a scenerio like you said, thus a bad rating. This is just my opinion though.
Lydia said…
LOL!!!! The best place I have ever eaten had a C rating. That was when they allowed C's. It is no longer open and it makes me sad. I also ate in Africa which is likely a F or something lower, like a triple Z. I think I got tapeworm from that but it was good.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut