Skip to main content

small town advantage

I didn't have a youth group growing up. For some reason they all decided to graduate from high school and move on with their lives instead of hanging around for another five-ten years waiting for me to get there.
Church activities meant helping Mom in the kitchen, playing with little kids, or listening to old people talk. It also meant I got to help with a lot of cool and fun things, such as craft preparations for the annual bazaar sale at the mall, VBS set up and clean-up, folding bulletins for Dad, bulletin board set-up, and the list goes on....
I think that's why it puzzles me when people say I'm crafty or talented. When I think of talented I think of Michelle Sappington who takes an empty piece of paper and makes it into a beautiful card with scissors and more paper. Her designs are snazzy and mine...well, they're just a bunch of lines.
I think of Dave Mincy, who can look at one note and a letter on a piece of paper and string all the right notes together in a beautiful way. Or else, he'll stop and say, "That's not the chord I want. Let's change it to this." My piano playing will forever sound "Bong, bomp, bomp. Bong, bomp, bomp." in the old fashioned octave-chord-chord method my teachers taught.
I was exposed/required/forced to do a lot of things growing up. I watched ladies who had money to buy whatever they wanted at the grocery store and never use coupons slowly scan the aisles of the Alabama Thrift Store in search of both clothes and knick-knacks to use in projects. A bag of buttons from the Arrow Shirt Factory for 25 cents? Done. That lacy angel given as a gift from someone in their travel group? A pattern. Our first job that ladies night? Wire buttons together to create an angel, a star, or wreath for ornaments to sell. I quickly learned some ladies have unique ideas and inspirations, and the rest of us can simply do by mimicking.
Being the preacher's kid meant staying until EVERYONE left church after every service. I watched old ladies arrange, clean and re-arrange flower arrangements at the front. I'll never have the knack for color they had, and my sense of style will not match everyone else's, but I did learn a few basics in between all my exasperated sighing and whining about being hungry and asking if we could go. Along the way I've also learned there's not much you can't read up on at the library, and now there's a whole world of virtual instruction on youtube. Not everything I attempt is going to turn out right, or pretty, or presentable. But if I don't try I'll never know.
Growing up in a small town with a bunch of old people who grew up during the depression taught me some of that...doing things isn't always a matter of talent. It's more often than not a matter of necessity and the stupidity/willingness to try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut