Skip to main content

clothesline

One of my childhood memories is helping Mom with laundry. On spring days that meant handing her items as she pinned things to the clotheslines. It also meant everyone making a mad dash outside when the unexpected thunderstorm came up to snatch things off the line as quickly as you could, and the next day re-positioning springs in the clothespins. And of course, when the dryer was used, our job was to fold the clothes.

Someone sent me an article link today about the pros and cons of line-drying. They discussed bacteria (the heat from clothes dryers will kill quite a bit whereas line drying does not), wrinkles, environmental issues, and spatial issues. But here's things they didn't mention that I found to be a problem as a child:

  1. Bird poop - There's nothing more disgusting than taking down a "clean" item only to find it marred with bird manure. Or even worse, having it splattered on you as a bird arrives/departs from the tree holding the line.
  2. Pets - Dogs and cats LOVE clotheslines. Cats will shred, bat, roll up in, and otherwise demolish clothes blowing in the breeze. Dogs just bite them and leave holes or tear marks. Granted, they don't like clean clothes as much as dirty ones, but it's still a toy in their minds.
  3. Stiffness - Towels and blue jeans from a clothesline have a stiff feel to them. Being a comfort girl, I adore the extra softness that comes with clothes from a dryer. I never noticed a difference with cotton sheets, but it does make a difference in towels and wash cloths.
  4. Time - Sometimes clothes don't dry quickly. If you have a big family and a lot of clothes to do, the clothesline isn't always the best option in busy weeks.
On the opposite side, here's some advantages they forgot to mention:
  1. Games - Sheets and towels hanging on either side make a great place to hide during games or for pretending.
  2. Funny songs in church - your sister, who is young and hasn't learned to read yet, will think they are singing "Bringing in the sheets" (instead of sheaves), making the old hymn quite funny
  3. Clothespins - Do you know how many hours children can occupy themselves playing with such an item? Of course, today you probably can't buy the wooden ones for fear of splinters and the springs might pinch a finger or two. Who from my generation hasn't used a wooden clothespin in an arts craft?
I don't remember what tv show it was, but there was some lady who moved somewhere uppity where they didn't allow clotheslines. It was supposed to be classless. When the male neighborhood committee came to complain, she started hanging up her unmentionables. We found that quite funny. I find it interesting that something so simple and practical is now "avant garde" and making a comeback. I won't be having one put up anytime soon thanks to our pooches, but I'm certainly not opposed to them!

Comments

Jennifer said…
another con....having to run and get clothes quickly because of a fast moving storm....i used to hate taking the clothes off the line for my mom!! I put my towels out on the deck, but they do get very stiff
Lydia said…
I love the smell of sheets off the clothesline. I really want one but we can't in this neighborhood. Rich's aunt has one and the kids thought it was the best thing ever- running through the sheets, swinging on and climbing the poles at each end, using the clothespins. I need one just for the entertainment value:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut