Skip to main content

so many quilts...sew little time!

Fabric, like fine China, will have patterns or prints that get discontinued. When I first started learning to quilt, I read in several magazines and blogs that if you find a print you really, really, really like, then go ahead and get 3-4 yards. Otherwise, when you go to find it after you've finished your current project (which could be 3 months to 2 years down the road), the store will no longer have it. So for a while I did that. And since I'm also a clearance rack shopper, I found some pre-printed quilt tops that I really liked (you just quilt the material as is instead of cutting it up into shapes). And if you can get a quilt top for $1 - 3 (as opposed to $8 - 10), then who in their right mind wouldn't? If you use your imagination, I think you can realize I have a nice little stock of material.
In addition to jaw-dropping prints and too good a deal to pass up quilt tops, I've also accumulated about three boxes of scraps.To a quilter, scraps are remnants of fabrics that are not big enough to be made into clothes. Two boxes came from my Grandmother, and one from a friend. Earlier this year I took an applique class, and for the required fabric I went to these boxes to see what I could salvage. After the class, I decided I had enough similar fabrics on hand to actually piece the majority of a twin-size quilt top. I'll have to post pictures later, but I'm a little over half-way appliqueing all the 6" hearts onto the squares. Hopefully after the June run-off election I'll be closer to 3/4 finished with the top.But now that I know how to applique, I have several other quilt ideas I've stashed material for in the past that are running around in my head. I've determined Bobby's quilt is NOT coming out of the frame until it is finished, but new quilt tops can be worked on during road trips or other times when I have to sit and wait on things. PLUS, I've found the blog of a Christian lady in Raleigh who does beautiful machine quilting for people. So if I find myself needing to do a quilt as a present but not having time for the actual quilting, I can check into hiring her to do it.

But here's a few of the quilts that I'd love to tackle:The bug quilt

I know you can't see inside all the jars, but each jar is made out of different bug prints. Variations of this quilt have jars of different sizes, jars tumped over with a bug coming out, and jars of fruit or vegetables. I've collected material (both bugs and veggies) for this over the years, and want to sketch out some various pantry backgrounds so it looks more like they're on a shelf or in a cabinet.

The fan quilt:
Above are two variations of the fan pattern. For my oldest niece's graduation present, I'd like to use this pattern in bright batiks, but connect the fans in a continuous flowing pattern from the top left side to the bottom right side. With the curves of the pattern, in my thoughts that should create one large squiggly line. I like the border on the quilt above, and I think that would be a nice finishing touch to such an obscure, off-centered design. She's finishing her sophomore year, so that means I only have 2 years to get this one done. (i.e. It's next on my list.)

The Texas Lone Star

My grandmother did this quilt for someone and I thought it was one of the most beautiful patterns I had ever seen. I've also seen this at a few quilt shows, and I love the repetitions, variations, and HUGENESS of the finished project. Bobby bought me a book for Christmas that shows variations of this pattern. I know this particular quilt won't be started for some time, but it is definitely on my "must do at least once" list.

I also have two pre-printed quilt tops that I'd like to quilt or cut-up and re-design.

If my hands could work as fast as my brain, I'd be in business!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut