Skip to main content

an old wives tale

I have always been told, and always believed, that any food cooked with alcohol would retain the flavor but not the alcoholic content. This year I started reading through a devotional that has an additional weight loss program with it. I've skimmed the weight loss program but have really focused on the devotional more. A few weeks ago I actually read through the recipes in the back of the book, and most of the ones that sound like food we'd eat call for cooking wine.

I am the granddaughter of an alcoholic. My mother and my aunt are both tee-totalers. To them, alcohol is of the devil. My aunt will rant that she doesn't understand why our government is so anti-smoking but allows alcohol. Smoke has never abused anyone, forced anyone to hide or lock their bedroom doors in fear, caused people to lose their jobs, caused wrecks injuring or killing people, nor kept food off the table. My mother will quote you almost any verse in the Bible that gives a warning against wine or the verses that list drunkenness as one of the "terrible" sins. It shouldn't be any surprise that she remained a Free Will Baptist after leaving home, one of the few Baptist denominations that deals with the issue of alcohol in the church covenant.

My father-in-law was also adamantly opposed to alcohol of any form, and instilled in his children that drinking was a reasonable cause to disinherit. Even during the time he spent in the Army, he never once had a drop of alcohol touch his lips. He certainly did a great job of passing that sense of morality down to his oldest son.

I believe the Bible's admonitions and warnings about alcohol should be heeded. For me, those warnings are strong enough that I'll gladly leave the stuff alone. This next sentence may keep me from ever being welcomed back in FWB circles, but I don't believe it is a sin to drink. I have never knowingly drank alcohol and have no intentions of starting now, but wine is mentioned too much in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, for God to have considered it a sin. I will willingly agree with my husband that most of the OT stories where it is mentioned do not have happy outcomes, but nevertheless, I think the sin there is gluttony and not consumption.

Which leads me to my discovery last week. I was seriously debating whether or not to buy cooking wine for use in these diet recipes and whether or not it was worth causing a tiff in our marriage for doing so. I knew for Bobby to even hear me out, I would have to have factual data to back me up. So I googled the subject and was blatantly shocked by the articles I read. I fully expected to find articles by religious groups on the subject. I did not expect for almost every article on the first page to be from either state owned nutritionist groups, AA groups, or doctors. I only read the first four or five, but they were all consistent with each other. Food must be cooked longer than 30 minutes for even half of the alcohol to cook out. Here's a link to the chart which gives the cooking times, method of cooking, and the amount of alcohol that burns up: http://www.betterendings.org/Recipes/cookal.htm

I was thankful to read that white grape juice can be substituted in many white wine recipes, though this chart does state it's really best to find a new recipe that doesn't call for it. The other sites weren't as flexible, saying there really was no substitute.

So I bought white grape juice today. If I get the chance to try out a recipe or two this next week, I'll let you know what I think. Meanwhile, if anyone has a non-alcoholic recipe for shrimp scampi, could you send it my way?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut