Skip to main content

Once upon a time...

...there was a girl who was very fastidious in meeting her obligations and tending to her projects. When a guest entered her house, you could open the closet doors in the hallway and find a place to hang your coat, for there were never boxes of projectors or old films awaiting a convenient time to be converted into VHS or DVD. The closet was nice and neat and clean and organized. And should the guest, after hanging up her jacket in the hall closet, wish to open the other closet and choose a game to play, then she could simply do so. For the owner of the house would never ever open those doors, frantically pull out bows and wrapping paper, and in a panicked moment of desperation dump an entire container out upside down so as to find a matching item and get out the door to prevent being even later than she already is, and simply close the door on the mess.
Nothing so preposterous would happen in this world, for this girl not only starts and finishes projects in a timely manner, but she also tidies up her mess afterwards.
And after a short game and exchange of pleasantries, everyone would sit down and enjoy a nice, delicious meal without any pangs of guilt, for everyone had eaten healthy all day long and not devoured all the allotted calories for the day five minutes before lunch.
When the meal is over and the guests have left, all the dishes will be quickly washed before bedtime, and the family will retire at a reasonable hour so they won't be drop-dead exhausted for the next day. The girl awakes refreshed and ready to tackle whatever awaits, and would never dream of heading to the computer to check e-mail and Facebook notices before getting dressed or starting chores. Those things are only done after all required work is finished.
I'm sure this has happened somewhere, once upon a time - just not at my house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut