The days get shorter.
Or maybe my to do list grows longer.
But either way time seems diminished, fleeting, evasive.
I am five again,
Staring at the board for Chutes & Ladders,
Counting, Staring, Memorizing,
Desperately trying to learn my way to 100.
My hairs are numbered,
as are my days.
Do I shift my list to fit everything in?
Or do I simply throw the list away?
I'm reaching the crease in the board.
You know, that halfway point that makes you think you might reach the top.
Of course, there's all those chutes that send you hurtling downward, forcing you to stay in the game longer.
But there's also the shorter ladders, enabling you to cut the game short.
The roll of the dice, the squares where we stop, the things beyond our control.
But will I cheat? What color peg will I be? Will I pout if I lose?
Those are the things that truly impact me.
Those are the choices I can actually determine.
All the rest is just up and down.
And learning to count the numbers.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wait...it's almost March?!?
10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lo...
-
10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lo...
-
While in Virginia last week, we visited the Shenandoah Caverns . It's one of three caverns in the area, but this one clearly specifies o...
-
The other day at work we were discussing the homeless men who frequent 1010/401. One of the three will periodically change his sign to list...
No comments:
Post a Comment