Skip to main content

vanity of vanities

The week before Christmas an item that I have been wanting went on "sale". Three different stores had this electronic gadget for its regular price BUT all three had extra incentives to go with it. Wal-Mart was throwing in a free $50 itunes giftcard, BestBuy, for an extra $20, was offering $50 worth of merchandise, and Target was offering an extra pair of headphones for half-off. I didn't have time before leaving to thoroughly investigate prices and items, so when we got to AL and my sister was heading to Wally World late Christmas Eve, I sent her with my credit card and driver's license. (Our handwriting looks close enough and my DL pic is an old one so we could pass for each other on it.)

She came back with the item in tow and I was so excited...until I saw it. It was green. I hate green. I like green in nature, but that's about it. So we stopped at Wal-Mart at 40/42 on the way home to see if we could exchange the item for a blue or black one, only to be told they had sold out of EVERY SINGLE ITEM!!! Today while out and about we stopped at the Wal-Mart in Garner, and they not only had the same item, they had it in BLUE!!! (black was my second choice)

In my simple mind, all they had to do was swap the unopened nano for a different nano. 45 minutes, three managers and three sales clerk later, it was a done deal. I understand that technology complicates things (they couldn't figure out how to ring up the exchange because there was a free gift card included in the original transaction), but it made me a little sad that what should be common sense and straightforward required so much consultation and approval for a simple swap. When we finished, my dear not-so understanding husband looked at me and said, "All this for your vanity?" I simply smiled and said "Yes." What more could I say?

Now, if they had insisted I give up or pay for the free gift card that went with since the promotion was no longer taking place, I would have stuck with a green nano.
But thankfully that didn't have to be. Did I mention that this one is blue and shiny?

I probably won't blog tomorrow as I'll be charging the battery and surfing itunes. :O) Music suggestions anyone?

Comments

Jennifer said…
so was it a mp3 player? (can you tell I am so ignorant on these things?
Monica said…
No, it's an ipod (the Apple Computer brand of an mp3 player). The nano is the middle version (both cost and feature) and this 5th generation version has a video camera included with it, which excites me very much!
Lydia said…
All this new technology confuses me...I'm happy with my PC:) NO ipods or MP3 thingies for me:) Glad you found the color you want, though, and I COMPLETELY understand wanting a color you like.

Green is my favorite color:)
Lydia said…
Oh- and I'm just catching up with your blog and I love the post you did on Bobby's accident. Very moving and a reminder once again of all the different ways that God blesses us!!!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut