Skip to main content

and more craziness


Grandma Ball's footstool is now recovered. I measured the foam, cut it, measured the fabric, hemmed the edges, made an elastic holder, inserted the elastic and...it wouldn't go on. I didn't measure the elastic and it was too short. So I pulled the elastic out, whipped out my staple gun, and BAM! It's not professional-looking. I don't think I cut the foam evenly, but IT IS FINISHED! and it matches my couch and rocking chair and Bobby actually thought it looked nice.

This just goes to show how crazy I am. My mother-in-law will be staying at our house while I'm gone to the Ladies' Retreat, (my first time away in 10 years!) and my brother-in-law will be coming in every evening to help out with other things. So what do I do instead of cleaning house and getting things organized for them? Work on projects! Of course, to my crazily wired brain this makes perfect since. See, the fabric for the footstool and the rocking chair (which is not done and hidden in a bedroom) was on the kitchen table, which had to be cleaned off. And if we're trying really hard to put things where they go, doesn't it make sense to literally put the material and foam where it goes? And yesterday's mirror was propped up on the laundry room door, so it needed to be cleaned, repaired, and hung. I still haven't hung it yet, but seeing as I have another hour before leaving that might actually get done. Meanwhile, the hallway had to be cleaned out (you know, all the stuff I had to drag out there from my cluttered art room so I could reach the Christmas decorations) so in order to put that stuff away I had to actually start cleaning the art room. You can now see 3/4 of the hospital bed in that room, as well as 75% of the floor! Progress!

Now I just need to finish packing and feed the chickens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut