Skip to main content

one month to live

This morning during the next to last lap of our weekly "get Bobby out the door on time" routine (otherwise known as fixing breakfast), Bobby asked me if I had one month left to live, what would I do? I think I momentarily stopped with the refrigerator door open and just stared at him. Then somewhat laughingly, I told him I would make a list of all my favorite foods and snacks and then make out a schedule accordingly. Priorities, baby.
He then proceeded to tell me about some church in the paper where the pastor is challenging the church to live the next month as if it is their last month on earth to live. Somehow I don't think my food idea is quite what he had in mind. Nor would be visiting those big trees in northern California, spending at least 2 weeks in Alabama, sitting on the beach for a WHOLE DAY, or finishing Andy and Amie's quilt. I might struggle (although very briefly) between cleaning my house top to bottom or hiring someone to come in and do it. I don't want to leave my mess for someone else to clean up and they forever rant about how messy my house is, because I fear the last thing they see might be what they forever remember. That would not be cool at all.
So if you had 31 days left to live (and yeah, I'd choose a longer month and not February!), what would you do?

Comments

Jennifer said…
makes me think of that song "live like you were dying" I'd go skydiving.....and so on....

I'm not sure. Great question. I think I would spend every minute with my kids, family etc. I think I would eat whatever I wanted, travel to a couple of places (with the family). makes ya really think!
Lydia said…
I'd hug, kiss, and hug some more. I'd tell everyone I knew that I loved them and make sure they knew where I was headed. I'd tell everyone I met(even total strangers) that I loved them and I'd ask them where THEY were headed. I'd talk, talk, and talk some more about Jesus. I'd leave all my earthly possessions to someone who REALLY needs them. I'd write long letters about life and Jesus to all my kids. I would look FORWARD to meeting my Lord and Savior face to face and being caught up in that, I'd talk some more about Him. And I wouldn't say nearly enough.

Even if I start living this way now, it will never be enough! Why DON'T I live this way now?

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut