Skip to main content

monthly cooking

I've always heard about people who cook once a month, freeze everything, and then for the remainder of the month only have to heat/thaw things for meals. I've often been tempted to try it, thinking it might simplify our lives dramatically.

This past week Food Lion had several meat items on sale, as well as several markdown items, so I bought several different things for future events. When I got home from the store that night, I set the three bags of meat on top of the washing machine while I removed all the laundry from the top of the freezer (it has a dual purpose as my folding table). Somewhere between putting away laundry and life, I totally FORGOT about the 3 bags of meat on my freezer. Imagine my surprise (exclamation of horror is actually more like it) when I entered the laundry room yesterday morning to iron a pair of pants. While my husband came quickly to find out what was wrong, my heart had almost stopped.

Thankfully the meat, since it was all together, was a tad cooler than room temperature. I know you can't freeze raw meat once it's been uncooled or thawed, but you CAN freeze cooked meat. I pulled out every pan I owned, as well as both crock pots, and started washing and throwing things into pans and dishes. I turned the stove onto low as I left for the baby shower so everything would roast while I was gone. It was quite the mixture of smells when I returned. There's nothing like walking into a kitchen and smelling a meal cooking, but I don't think I quite enjoyed the smell of several different kinds of meat cooking all at once! I spent a good two hours cutting, pulling meat off the bone, and washing dishes. Bobby thoroughly enjoyed his job of taste tester, though!

I have always wanted to try once a month cooking....just not like this! I tell myself that one day I'll be organized and efficient. Perhaps that will be my ultimate sanctification - organization!

Comments

Jennifer said…
I can't do the entire month, but it is fun to do little at a time and have it when you need it. I usually do the same thing when there is a sale and make bread, muffins, meatloaf, pancakes!
Mary said…
I had to chuckle at your dilemma! I don't cook everything for a month but when I cook I like to make lots and then divide into batches for later. Microwaves are wonderful for reheating. Just think of how the wonderful meals you have prepared for the future!
sara said…
I think the idea is a great one! If I could ever get in gear to do it....

Glad you were still able to use the meat!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut