Skip to main content

the kitchen table

When I first moved to NC, I had a trunk from college, two end tables I bought a yard sale, a bookcase and the bedroom set I had as a child (which my parents graciously gave me). A friend of Bobby's gave me a couch and I scrounged money for several months to pay for a slipcover to go over it. Bobby's brother had gotten married the year before, and in consolidating households moved a lot of furniture into storage. They gave me the kitchen table and chairs they weren't using, and I've gratefully and thankfully used them for the last 11 years.

Bobby's nephew got married almost two years ago. I don't know why neither of us ever thought about it before, but for some reason last month it finally crossed our mind that they might want the kitchen table that Sammy's parents had while he was growing up. So we asked them, thinking they'd say no, they already had furniture, and we're surprised when they immediately said "YES! We've just bought a house and that would be great!"

So the last month I've spent a good chunk of time (as has Bobby) looking at CraigsList, looking at photo galleries on the web, and discussing what we would like/need in a kitchen table. We checked into having someone make us a kitchen table from the wood of the tobacco barn we tore down a few years ago, but that fell through. Meanwhile, several tables we really liked sold on CraigsList, and one we liked but were uncertain about kept reducing its price. Last Monday I went to measure and make sure Bobby could fit his chair under it and that the chairs were comfortable, and brought it back to Mrs. Bryan's barn. The boys came Thanksgiving afternoon and loaded up our faithful and comfortable table and chairs to take to Sammy & Jess's new house, and unloaded our "new" set for us.
I absolutely LOVE the detailed carving on the skirting of the table.
And the carving of the chairs match, and I think they are absolutely gorgeous. Even though everything is oak, the stain is dark enough that I think it matches the cherry cabinets in our kitchen. AND...included in the detailed carved on the top of the chairs is acorns and oak leaves...how cool is that?
And here's what the complete table looks like. The leaf doesn't match the inward angle of the grain in the table, but it does complement nicely. (Bobby can't fit under pedestal tables without a leaf in them.) I'm just thrilled that we not only found something that works AND we both really like, but we also got a great deal out of it!

And here's the biggest kicker: while I'm talking to the owner, she was sharing with me that her parents gave it to her almost ten years ago as a wedding present, and that her Mom bought it at an estate sale with the understanding it would make do until she could afford what she wanted. Her husband is finishing seminary and they are getting their own house, so they're finally getting to purchase their own furniture, too. In the process of this conversation, she said something about her family being from SC. I asked her what part, telling her about my older sister living there, and in that conversation found out we both have friends and family in Alabama. I told her I was from Cordova, thinking she would have never heard of it (as most non-Alabamians and even some Alabamians haven't), and she immediately not only named a couple from Cordova, but IT WAS SOMEONE I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH!!!! Misty graduated with my little sister; we were in band together, and when her family had to move up to Southeastern for her husband to attend seminary (they lost their apartment and school during Hurricane Katrina), I was able to visit the hospital when their new child was born. This lady had lived next door to the Alexanders while their husbands were in seminary, and her husband and Ritchie still talk on the phone almost weekly! How bizarre and yet how neat that I would drive almost an hour away for a gorgeous, non-expensive dining set, only to find out the owner and I both know the same people?!? Is that not crazy?

So who knows? Maybe by the time I hit my 50's I'll have finally replaced all our donated furniture with furniture that we've actually picked out ourselves. We're 99% there in the living room, and now totally there in the kitchen! WHOHHOOO!

Comments

Jennifer said…
I love it! I'd love a new kitchen table and bedroom furniture too, but that will have to wait until we get a bigger house some day! I'm glad you found a deal on Craigs list!
Monica said…
Thanks for the recommendation Zane. If hear of anyone who likes modern stuff I'll pass the info on...
Lydia said…
So pretty- I love it!!! Neat story to go with it too:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut