Skip to main content

NC State Fair 2009

Bobby and I spent the day at the fair yesterday. I think it was our 3rd time to go, but it was the first time we went during the day and had nice weather. If we ever go again, we will certainly go during the day again. We arrived shortly after the gates opened, it was easy to find handicapped parking, and wasn't quite so crowded. The crowd started picking up around noon, so we had several hours at exhibits before it became hard to keep up with each other. I think the last time we went it was an evening, wet, cold, and packed with so many people you could hardly walk. So this year's daytime trip was great.

Highlights:
Ostrich burger - we split one for lunch. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't place it in my "gotta have again" category. It tasted somewhat like deer meat.

The cake burger - my niece had told me if I didn't see anything else, we needed to see the cake decorating exhibit. So we stayed a little longer than we planned just to see this cake decorated like a hamburger. It was worth it. The funny part was Bobby's facial expression when he realized it was truly a cake. I wish I had taken a camera so I could post it. The person not only did a hamburger with meat, lettuce, and cheese, but also a drink (with straw) and french fries. We were amazed it didn't place. We were telling Mrs. Bryan about it and supper, and turns out she knows the person who made it!

Village of yesteryear - This exhibit is always my favorite. The paper said that the music man was retiring after this year, so I wanted to stop by his booth. His whole family was performing the last time we were there and we purchased one of their cd's. I bought two more this year (one Christmas and one hymns), AND talked with several wood carvers. Get this...one of them is from Raleigh and teaches beginning wood carving at a woodworkers shop in Raleigh (which I didn't even know the shop existed). I have always loved carved wood, and a few years ago came up with this crazy brainstorm that I would like to carve either the top piece of a hope chest for my nieces and nephew. I could then pass the piece on to my Dad and brother to make the chest. Of course, this has yet to happen. I did try my hand at one small piece, but I think it makes more sense to learn the basics from someone who actually knows what they are doing. I signed up for a class through Raleigh Parks & Recreation at their art center, but the class was cancelled. NaNoWriMo may not happen again this year, as I feel another hobby coming on. Thank you Village of Yesteryear!

At the art exhibit (I don't remember what prompted this discussion) Bobby laughingly said I should limit myself to 10 projects at a time and needed to get a project jar for all my ideas. I told him I didn't have 10 projects going now, though I think if I started listing them he may be correct. (I just counted...there's only 8, haha!)

and fun with a smidge of 'oh well':
Poultry Exhibition...we thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the breeds, watching roosters in opposite cages vie for dominance, etc, but the last row of birds (the size of chickens we'd be interested in having) was closed for judging. It was probably just as well, for the row next to it had many up for sale!
Garden Exhibition...I liked that many school children had "fair assignments" where as part of missing school they were to answer so many questions about each exhibit. Yet the teens congregated in a circle of the narrow aisles trying to find the answers and help each other out, totally blocking the path. I asked one girl to excuse us twice, tapping her once, and she totally ignored me. So I gently pushed her to the side while saying excuse me and walked on by. Bobby was behind me and said she was NOT very happy with me. But the gardens were nice and interesting.
Quilt exhibit...was poorly laid out for visual experience, though neatly displayed for space. All the quilts were hanging on swinging racks, and there was only one fair worker for the entire needlework section. She was showing off the 50+ crocheted afghans and blankets while we were there, so we were unable to see any of the quilts from that area of competition, which was probably just as well.

My feet are VERY tired (though Bobby informed he only used up 2 energy bars on his wheelchair battery) but it was very well worth it.

Comments

sara said…
Sounds like fun! You need to take your camera next year!!!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut