Skip to main content

nature 2 Monica 0

My day is not going as planned.
I had some outdoor projects and yard work I needed to tackle and hoped to finish at 10:30am.
It's now 10:00am and I am on my second "break" and have been stymied TWICE.

After a minor discussion of exactly WHERE the new chicken pen is going to go, I finished placing the boards and began spray painting the lines (this was step one). I'm 3/4 finished when I look up and see a branch stuck in the upper window of the chicken house. I took one step closer and it wiggled. I scream loud and long and repetitively for Bobby, who has gone back inside to do his job's work. He doesn't hear me. I run inside and yell for him. He finally comes out, and by this time the snake is no longer in the window. I'm not adventurous enough to lift the roof side near the nesting boxes where he was, so we open the nesting pole side, and see the snake on the opposing side nestled up in the far corner. It's a young black snake (also known as rat snakes or farmer's snakes because they eat mice and other small crop predators), about 24" long and about a dime's width in diameter. Bobby thinks I should just reach in and grab him out since he's harmless, but I poke him with the hoe handle through the open roof. He slithers out the edge of the nesting box (that's how I know how long he was) and drops into a hole...UNDER THE CHICKEN HOUSE!!!! I lock the dogs up, turn the chickens out, move both house and pen, and discover this snake has a tunnel (I'm assuming). There's the hole inside, two small holes outside in the pen, and a smaller hole outside of everything.
Step two of this project is to plow the lines up (the fence has to go underground due to predators). That means at some point I have to plow across the tunnel; this does not appeal to me at all!
SO, I do what I do best. I start another project! I grabbed the hoe and started tackling weeds among the flowers and the little shed. After the second or third whack, I start hearing a buzzing, just like I did in the garden. I change locations, having had unpleasant reactions to stings before, and the noise only gets louder. I put the hoe down in hopes of spotting where the buzzing sounds originates. The noise almost immediately stops. I pick the hoe up, and nothing. I start to hoe, and it becomes even louder. I throw the hoe down, and spot two holes at various points in the handle. We most likely have carpenter bees. When I told Bobby we needed a new hoe, he told me to take it to the pond and submerge it. It should then work just fine.
For now the hoe is still on the ground in front of the shed. I might tackle the tilling next.
I won't go to the gym today.
I've had enough cardio, I think.

Comments

Unknown said…
hee hee hee ha ha ha ha ha!! i am hurting b/c i'm laughing so hard!!! you are soo delightful! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut