Skip to main content

fillers

During my TOEFL training, one of the things I heard in almost every single session in the teaching segment was the importance of having fillers. (Planned activities to fill up time in case part of your lesson ended early or the class was extended, etc.)

When I was writing, the advice tidbit I heard over and over was to be involved with people, but guard your writing time so it didn't become filled with up people and their wants/needs.

This past week I have felt like my life was fuller than the hourglass I've been given. While at work proofing a devotional that's to be printed tomorrow, I came across this:

Real servants make themselves available to serve. Servants don't fill up
their time with other pursuits that could limit their availability. They
want to be ready to jump into service when called on. (Read II Timothy
2:4)

and on the next day:

Are you available to God anytime? Can He mess up your plans without you
becoming resentful? As a servant, you don't get to pick and choose when or where
you will serve. Being a servant means giving up the right to control your
schedule and allowing God to interrupt whenever he needs to.....Servants see
interruptions as divine appointments for ministry and are happy for the
opportunity to practice serving.

You know how you pluck your eyebrows, think you got everything, then at a stoplight glance in the rearview mirror and see several hairs jumping out at you screaming, Nah, nah! Sometimes I feel the Christian journey is very similar. You think you're plucking out the bad habits and attitudes, (or at least bleaching the ones you can't get to) only to find out there's some very prominent ones on display. Time fillers, servanthood, and the Master - I'm thankful He's a merciful one.

Comments

sara said…
That's great, Monica! just the reminder I needed today! (well....and every day...)
Jennifer said…
well put, Monica....you are a fabulous writer
Lydia said…
Good reminder- especially in this day and age where we are SO busy. I'm (with Rich's help) making a few changes in our family life this summer so we can be more available to serve God. I highly recommend reading "Margins" by Dr. Swenson.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut