Skip to main content

supposed sexism

When Al Gore and George Bush ran for President, media commentators compared and commented on their clothing choices...how more relaxed they were wearing polo shirts and casual pants instead of the traditional dress shirt and tie. They even discussed the fact that Gore sometimes deviated from wearing red, white, or blue polo shirts.
Fast-forward four years: Kerry vs. Bush. Media commentators compared not only the dress styles of Kerry & Bush (Kerry wore casual dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up), but also of their wives and daughters (the daughters all posed in designer magazines).
So now we come to 2008, where Hilary Rodham Clinton has finally wrapped up her campaign, and one of the things her supporters keep complaining about is the sexist media and how they wanted to focus on Hil's clothes. ?!? Um, where were these people for the last 8+years?
I did find it interesting that Hilary was always dressed to the hilt while campaigning...especially considering the fact that her 8 years as First Lady the administration was often called "Kids in cut-offs" for their lack of decorum and classy dress at the White House. So I find it interesting, if not bizarre, the the media DIDN'T comment on her dress more.
When a person such as I, who is not overly observant about clothes and is a function over form kind of gal, notices the absurdity of Hil campaigning at the gas pumps about outrageous prices wearing a really nice pantsuit that probably cost more than the priciest section of Belk's, accompanied with this HUGE pearl necklace (I think all the ladies in our church could combine our necklaces just to equal the largest bead on that thing), does the irony of the situation not grasp anyone?
I'm just failing to see how the media, who is appearance oriented, is being sexist by commenting on things that people such as I, who could care less about appearances, notice?

Comments

Lydia said…
I like your new pic! The water looks like tiny crystals. I don't really consider the clothing comments "sexist" but I do think that it's superficial to think to much about a person's attire when there are more important things to worry about. However, I am like you in that I have a hard time with politicians getting on their financial-type soapboxes (like gas prices)when they themselves spend so much on their personal image (Bill Clinton's high dollar hair cut).
Unknown said…
I love the water picture on your blog header right now!! You are amazing!
I think my politically up-to-date wife may have been referring to John Edwards. But please don't blame her; she's one of the many female admirers of Bill Clinton who can't seem to get him out of her head. I'm sure you understand.

Now please join me in rooting for Hillary in 2012!!! Who's with me?
Monica said…
While Johnny boy is the latest in top dollar haircurts, Billy boy did hold up more than one airport terminal for several hours while getting a haircut about AirForce1.
Don't imagine that was cheap. I don't think I'll join your little fan club. I'll vote for Obama before I vote for Hil.(Yes, that noise you're hearing is Bobby gasping in horror.)
Jennifer said…
I'd vote for Obama before Hillary too!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut