Skip to main content

books

I must be a dot-to-dot kind of gal. Now that I look back on my favorite books throughout my life, they've all been a series: Bobbsey Twins, Chronicles of Narnia, Trixie Beldon, Hardy Boys (I always checked out Nancy Drew at school since girls weren't supposed to read boy books, but I thought she was prissy. At the public library I always got the Hardy Boys.) Sugar Creek Gang, Janette Oke, Jan Karon, Lori Wick, Harry Potter, Beverly Lewis, and now my interest is piqued by the Spiderwick Chronicles. Has anyone read this series? Since the movie came out, the library has a very long waiting list, and I just can't bring myself to pay $10 for a little bitty book that I might not like.

I did read one of the Leminy Snicket books, but I didn't like it all. It's too Grimm and Poe-like for me. There are some authors whom I've really enjoyed and wouldn't mind reading more from them, but I usually hesitate to read something by an author I've never heard of or read about. Strange, isn't it?

Now, if Bobby reads this, he'll be quick to point out that almost all my favorite books are children's books. I have started reading biographies and autobiographies (well, before I started back to work I did), but so much adult fiction is solid trash. I read one of Danielle Steele, and some of Lillian Jackson's works, but wasn't overly impressed. Steele has good characterization skills but her characters are all immoral and trashy, while Jackson is overly simplistic and borderline boring. I did enjoy some of John Grisham's books, but they have so many tedious narrations that I find myself skimming parts.

There's just something about children's literature that I've always enjoyed. Maybe it's the brevity of the books; I can read them in one day and be done. Perhaps its the informative and moralistic style (you know, the character is supposed to grow in some form or fashion without too much adult help). But for whatever reason, I would much rather read something designated as children's literature than adult. There are a lot of middle-grade novels and YAs out there that are just as trashy as adult books, but I think that's just a reflection of how depraved our society is today.

So, how many of you prefer children's books to adult lit?

Comments

Jennifer said…
I forgot all about Trixie Beldon until you mentioned her!! I like Janette Oke and books like that, but I don't get much chance to read any more. Children's books do seem to be better.
Lydia said…
I love children's lit. I own all the Harry Potter, have read all the Spiderwick AND Lemony Snickett books (which I thought were hilarious!). If you like good juvenile fantasy, try Alison Croggon- good series, I'm waiting on the last book to come out. I also REALLY love retold fairy tales. "Rose Daughter" is my favorite!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut