Skip to main content

Cantankerous old women

There's absolutely nothing like sitting in the presence of a cantankerous old woman. Even damp humidity gives you a feeling of thankfulness once you've left their presence. DUH (Dear Understanding Hubby) says if I were in their plight then I might be the same way. He may be right, but the prideful, ignorant child in my screams, "No, I WON'T!"
In all fairness, some of their situations are down right pitiful and difficult. But other situations are just normal bumps in the road we call life. I like to think that when I am old I will force myself to find something to do (other than gripe and whine), and that I will always find SOMETHING to be thankful for, even if it is only the shiny floor in the nursing home, or cable television, or a phone that I can handle even with arthritic fingers, or the fact that my room has a window with a real tree outside of it. I like to think that even if I find myself in a mundane job, that I will be like former co-workers I've had and find something to make it interesting. Did you know you can make a game out of timed drive-through windows and the burrito bar at Taco Bell on a Friday night when half your crew calls in "sick" the night a hit movie is to premier?
I like to think that no matter my salary or the importance of my job, that I too will rise to any challenge with a smile. Okay, in case my sister is reading this, we'll settle for my normal Eeyore facial expression with a smile in my heart.
I've always heard that happiness is a choice. Our pastor's wife has a quote that says something like this:
Two decisions on the shelf: pleasing God or pleasing self.
And even though I have never had to live in a nursing home because my children didn't want me, nor feel trapped in a job I didn't enjoy, nor be stuck in a marriage where my spouse has mentally lost it and is either a danger to himself or everyone else, I like to think that if I were in those situations, at least 80% of the time I'd please God by giving thanks. (And the other 20% of the time I'll be a downright ornery, cantankerous, griping old woman.)

Comments

Lydia said…
Somehow I can't picture you as an ornery old woman...
Unknown said…
Yeah, well that's because you've not lived with her and seen her grandmother Rea Rea come out in her. I'm told she also has characteristics of her other grandmother, but I never had the chance to meet that lady.

Bobby
Lydia said…
You make me laugh...:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut