Skip to main content

vanity and church meals

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
When I was in high school, I worried too much about what people thought of me. Now I've grown up, and I still worry too much about what people think of me. Only the things I worry about have changed.
For example, after I got married, for the first time I had to prepare a meal for church potlucks. Gone were the days of just helping Mom. Suddenly I was responsible. What if no one liked what I took? What if no one even took a bite? Or worse, what if they took a bite but everyone thought it was bad? I could just envision walking up to the table, there being one dish on the table totally full and untouched, and it being mine. And of course, all the women would turn and look pityingly on the poor, wretched housewife who can't fix anything desirable or nutritious. So being the common sense, unvain person that I was, I focused on desserts - something everyone loves. Until you have the day when the cake falls flat and looks horrendous. Now if I were the creative, domestic engineer that a friend of mine is, I would creatively flip my cake container upside down, chop the cake into pieces and crumbles, then melt the icing and pour over it, making a unique blend of punchbowl cake and dump cake, which everyone raves and loves and there's never a crumb left in her bowl. That's actually how she came up with the recipe - her cake went flat. But me? No, I go to tears and grumble and have a grand 'ol pity party and wallow in my failures as a cook and housewife.
How stupid is that? I mean, in all my years of church life, I can't think of one potluck where there was a dish left untouched. And no one will know whether or not a dish is mine. (I mean, come on, that's why your name sticker always goes on the bottom, right?)
And then after a time or two of being tormented by witnessing all of this, my dear husband dryly commented, "I didn't know potlucks were this complicated." And his majestic solution was that rather than stress out over everything, we could always go to Bojangles and pick up a bucket of chicken and I could focus on veggies and dessert, which are much easier for me to prepare. And our first meal at CBC, I took him up on that offer. After all, at family reunions and church potlucks growing up, I always went for the KFC bucket. So I'm slowly coming around. I think I've come up with a meat dish or two that's okay-tasting and I can easily make for a Sunday, but my husband has a point - potlucks were not designed to be complicated.
Now if I can find non-Grandma looking dress shoes that feel comfortable!

Comments

Lydia said…
Hey, finally someone else who thinks like I do about potlucks! I'm always worried mine won't get eaten and I'll have to take it home:) As for the shoes...have you tried Aerosoles? I don't think they look "granny." Also, the crocs and clogs by Land's End are the BEST!
Jennifer said…
I've had that happen to me before, and I'll I made was a sandwich....see, I can't even cook that!!!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut