Skip to main content

happenings

It's been a very BUSY day!

First, we got some good news after Garner's Town Planning Commission Meeting last night. Bryan Rd Elementary School, which will be our adjoining neighbor, is going to have a 35 foot landscape barrier between the two properties. (That's 12 yards, for all us southerners). Included in the barrier will be Japanese Maples, Dogwoods, evergreen shrubs, and peonies. The only gap will be where the public sewer line stops before it gets to our property, and I can fill that in with some type of tree or sculpture or something. Work is supposed to begin in May, and the school plans to open fall of '09. Bryan Rd Middle School (further down the road) is scheduled to open fall of '11, and the new High School off of New Bethel Church Rd (which will be across from Bobby's sister Pat and near his brother Tim) is slated to open fall of '12. The Timber Drive Connection between the current Timber Dr and the White Oak Shopping Center is also slated to begin construction in '09 with a target completion date of '11.
The bad news...there's now a big possibility we'll be annexed by the town of Garner within the next few years. Which means if Bobby plans to get any farm type animals he'll have to get them now so they can be grandfathered in, if that's possible.

Second, we finally have garbage service! Whohoo! We actually got a bill in the mail yesterday, so Bobby called them today since they haven't delivered the container nor picked up anything.

Third, the dog fence people are coming tomorrow!

And last, but certainly not least: we only have one more ABRO fundraiser for this ABRO year. We've actually skipped several this year (thought not quite as many as I would have liked).

As always, the political situation is still up in the air there. The US issued sanctions last fall because their president also owns the only energy company in Belarus. With all the election controversies from the last election (one presidential candidate mysteriously disappeared, another thrown in prison, and the third was barred from campaigning in many places), the US claims Lushanko is nothing more than a dictator. Regardless, Lushanko has now responded to the new sanctions by removing the Belarussian ambassador from the US. He is also recommending our American ambassador leave Minsk (to which the US refuses because a recommendation is not an ultimatum.) But as things stand now, our three not so little munchkins will be arriving the middle of June and departing the end of July. I'm already tired!

Comments

Jennifer said…
I am tired just reading your blog. I am curious...what type of farm animals does Bobby want?

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut