Skip to main content

customer service

The three years I lived in China, my teammates and I would often joke/berate/complain/bemoan about the customer service (or lack thereof) in China. Don't get me wrong, the Chinese people are some of the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever met. But somehow that doesn't (or ten years ago it didn't) carry over to the realm of business. Perhaps it had something to do with working in a government owned store where there was little if any incentive to do a job well done. Regardless, it wasn't uncommon to walk into a department store, request to look at an item from the clerks (items were kept in glass cases or behind service desks so people wouldn't pocket them), and be told, "I'm busy." The clerk would then proceede to talk to her colleague, pick her nails, daydream, eat lunch, or whatever else suited her fancy. Or if they happened to be in a bad mood, they would say something totally ludicrous like, "We're out of that item" (there's a whole shelf FULL behind them), or "You don't want that; it costs too much." At which point you can either argue, make a scene, and possibly get what you want, or you could leave the store, cross the road to another government-owned department store which sold almost identical things and possibly have better luck there. I don't think I ever had to go to more than three stores to get a paticular item.

Anyway, after 8.75 years of sharing a trash bin with relatives, we decided it was time to have our own trash disposal service. I called the number, got an answering machine, left a message, and waited two weeks. Nothing. Bobby goes on-line, fills out the form, we wait a few weeks - nothing. So this afternoon I called three times over 20 minutes and got a busy signal. FINALLY got a ring, only to hear a recording that no one is available at the moment to take a message. I just went on-line and re-submitted the application form, but at this point I'm not overly optimistic. If it weren't for the fact I'm sitting in my nice home with heat and adequate water and plumbing facilities, I might wonder if I were not back in China.

As a child I used to get excited when the trash man came in his big truck and waived. Now I think I'll be excited if they just return a phone call.

Comments

Jennifer said…
maybe this is why we take our own garbage
sara said…
That is so interesting about the Chinese un-service! Frustrating for you I am sure....hope you get some news on the trash soon :)

To answer your question- I always use acrylic and sometimes goauche (I never remember how to spell that). I have never tried oils, have you?
andy said…
I would not return your phone call either if you trying to give me your garbage

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut