Skip to main content

one week later

 When I started blogging the electoral college last week, I was mainly wanting to record comments of the historical event because of the controversy surrounding the vote.  I never dreamed a riot would occur and our capitol would become under attack. Four people died that day.

Benjamin Phillips, 50, from PA had a stroke. His family members have not received any confirmation from anyone about where he was when he died or any contributing factors. He often went to Trump rallies and sold stuffed Trump kangaroos.


Ashli Babbitt, 35, from CA died of a gun shot wound received that she received from Capitol Police while jumping through the window of a door into the house chambers that protestors had just busted out. An Air force veteran, she had multiple videos on social media sites full of rants about Trump and immigrants.


Roseanne Boyland, 34, from GA. According to friends and family with her, she was trampled to death during the clash between protestors and police inside the Capitol. A former drug addict, she was hoping to become a social worker.


Brian Sicknick, 42. A former member of the Air National Guard who served our country overseas after 9/11, he joined the Capitol Police in 2008. According to fellow officers, he was beaten in the head with a fire extinguishers by protestors. After arriving back at the station he collapsed, and later died in the hospital.


Kevin Greeson, 55,  of Alabama was outside the Capitol when he died. He was on the phone with his wife when he suffered a heart attack. This photo is from an Alabama newspaper, which they found on his Parler account. He posted it in December with a post about everyone bringing their guns to the Capitol and declaring war. His wife claims he was non-violent and would never have advocated what happened, but his social media posts say otherwise.

Many media are trying to link the death of another officer to the riots, but he was off duty on that day, and died by suicide.

Today the House has impeached the President. There's a lot of division on whether or not that was the proper thing to do with him only having one week left in office. Debate on the House floor was very heated, very contentious, at times ugly, and heart-breaking to hear. 

Personally, I'm not sure if impeachment or criminal charges is the answer. I do think the President is held accountable to the law, even more than the average citizen. I don't think he should get a pass on this because his term is almost over.

But I do see extreme hypocrisy in the House members who brought the charges. Their contempt and rhetoric and behavior of the last four years have equaled that of the President's. The only difference is there's have not incited a coup against the government.

I am more concerned with the number of social media sites who are banning people and companies. I recognize it is not a government violation of free speech because these are private companies, but there is clearly two large segments of people who are being prohibited from expressing their thoughts. Granted, one of these two segments of society, like Mr. Greeson above, advocate some very disturbing things. My father always told me as a child that "Your freedom ends where your sister's nose begins." and I do think that the responsibilities that go with freedom mean there has to be a limit to what we can do or say. But the idea of limiting speech is a scary one. Not everyone agrees on where that line should be drawn, and once we start drawing lines it becomes very easy to redraw them or cut and paste them into another position. It's a slippery slope.

Also on today our Capitol has the national guard sleeping in its halls as they prepare and get ready for the inauguration next week. Our nation has not quartered troops in DC since the Civil War, and the rhetoric I heard today and the deep divisions I'm seeing online sadly remind me of many diaries and sentiments of the time a few years before the Civil War. I pray for healing of our nation. I pray for unity. I fear like my ancestors of four generations ago that there may come a time I have to choose a side and I will have family on both sides. Wake up, America. It doesn't have to be this way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

fun...funny houses

 We saw the above house in Pittsboro while on our way to the mountains. It was the strangest house I've ever seen. Evidently this isn't a modification, for Bobby remembers thinking it funny as a child. Evidently a governor lived here at one point. I think the sign said it's now a Masonic lodge. And if seeing one funny house wasn't enough, the latest issue of This Old House had a link to their website that had several galleries of funny (or strange houses). Here's my favorites from their collection:   Szymbark , Poland  This just makes me laugh, and I would love to visit this house in person. Created by a designer who wanted to demonstrate "wrong-doings against humanity".  Visitors have stood in line for as long as 6 hours to tour the house, and many come out feeling "sea-sick".     Kalambaka, Greece... This 1,000 foot cliff drop has housed monastaries since the 11th century. Six of them are open to the public, " assuming, of course, th