Skip to main content

a day for remembering

Last night we received a phone call that my cousin had been in an accident and was airlifted to a nearby town. For hours we had no other information, but prayers were going up in many states on the family's behalf. This family has been through a lot the last few months, with my cousin losing some of his memory (he's in his 30s) and a lot of tests and struggles with the VA hospital.

This morning they not only took the tubes out, but they allowed him to come out of sedation. Last night he had no reflexes at all below the waist. This morning he was wiggling his toes on command. Last night he once again didn't know his wife. Today he did. Tonight he was moved out of ICU and into a regular hospital room. He still has a very long way to go, and with his illness and being out of work so much the last month, I'm sure the medical bills are going to be unreal. But tonight his wife found the name on Facebook she had been searching for...the name of the woman who arrived at the wreck scene, stopped, called 911, and then stayed until both paramedics and the lifeflight arrived. And her FB post...a pic of his truck, his first name, and the helicopter arriving on the scene, with the request for prayer for his life, and for the family as well. I was almost bawling when I read that. Our family is so grateful for her, but even more for her asking for God's people to pray for a young man she knew nothing about. We still don't know how long or how much of a recovery they have ahead of them, but we do know God is healing and answering prayers, and that has all of us very excited.

Today we also had the privilege of going to Florence, SC to visit with a dear family friend. We had a good time, and it was good to be with someone from "home".

Tomorrow we have some repairmen coming out to look at two windows. The windowsill on one totally broke apart and pulled away from the handle Sunday morning as I was closing the windows before the rain started. Thankfully we were able to close the window enough that no rain came inside, but I'm not totally thrilled about having to replace two windows (maybe 4). That was not an expense we had on our radar for this year! But I am thankful to live in a country where such repairs can actually happen. We don't have to tape plastic over the window and hope the rest of the frame doesn't rot away too quickly because there would be nothing to replace it with when it did. There are many countries where that is a reality, and we are so fortunate to live in the land of the plenty.

God has blessed us, even though we really don't deserve it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut