Skip to main content

birds and buildings

The youngest rooster (who was also messed up the most in the last few days of fighting) has been relocated to a new home where he can hopefully rest and recover and enjoy the rest of his life in almost celibacy. We did rehome one of our egg-eating hens to the same farm, but no one has seen a sign of her since we dropped her off. Knowing how good she was at hiding in the hen house here, I think she's found her a spot in one of the many barns and sheds there. Hopefully the young roo and the strange hen will find each other and be at peace with one another.  One down...one more roo to see about.

And here's what else is happening on the bird and building front...

 The last two Saturdays one of the teens from church has helped me assemble the walls to the frame of the small hen house.
 We were able to reuse the old nesting boxes, but with a new board re-inforcing the bottom, a new support beam, tile, and a good coat of fresh paint.
 And we used the old perch, but added a second one lower down for the smaller birds. I think they'll like that a lot better, and I'll feel better that they're not on the ground when it's damp or cool.

 Above is the pen I've built over the last few weeks. It doesn't look pretty, but it's standing upright and doesn't fall over when you bump it (like the one it's replacing!)

 And here's the old, rotting boards from the old little hen house. I used them as a pattern for the new one.
And this afternoon it was finally warm enough to paint!  The side vents and roof is salvaged from the old version, with new (and more) staples over the chicken wiring and paint over the boards. I could see where the carpenter bees had done their drilling, and I'm hoping by painting these boards it might help stop that. Time will tell.

So tomorrow morning we'll add handles to the base for moving the house, attach the top roof and side vents, then hopefully attach trimwork and side roofs, then add a screw/hook near the nesting boxes so I can hang a heat lamp inside. Then all the biddies will move out of their nesting box and have twice as much space to run around, plus experience the world around them while still being protected from the fox and hawks!

I'll be glad when this project is over. :) The big hen house we're jobbing out to someone else.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut