Skip to main content

Bath, NC

Last week we had the opportunity to visit a little bit of the towns of Washington and Bath, NC.  Due to uncontrollable circumstances, we didn't do much of the historic walking tour in Washington, but we did get to see the original church (and maybe one of the oldest in NC) in Bath. It's still being used as an Episcopal church, and the original building has not had any additions, though there are buildings around it that belong to the church. The church is open for tours (which means you walk in and look around). It was fascinating.

These pew cushions reminded me of the church I grew up in.
One long red cushion that runs the length of the entire pew, and is not attached.

I've only seen glass bookcases in old churches. Here it was used to store Bibles and hymnbooks.
Beside, hanging off the window sill, was a basket holding coloring books and crayons for kids.

The view from the front of the church. The original building of New Bethel Baptist Church here in Garner had a balcony. Prior to the civil war, it was where the slaves sat during church time. 

Love the stone floor. It was quite level. Most stone pavements aren't, making it difficult on wheelchairs.

and the balcony steps. I'm always amazed at how narrow staircases from the 1800s are.
In today's buildings, steps would be twice that width.

View from the back of the church

Instead of having wooden pockets on the back (similar to the one holding the offering envelope) for hymnbooks, these pews had a shelf underneath as a place for hymnbooks. I think I like this a little better than on the back of the pew.

The estuary in Washington and the Visitor's Center in Bath both had quilts that their local guilds had made that I would have loved to photograph, but both were in areas of the museum where you couldn't take pictures. Washington's was made in the Window Pane pattern, but inside each pane was an appliqued animal that you would see in the estuary. They did an outstanding job. In Bath, the centerpiece was patchwork but the outer borders had large appliques of women working, showing the history of the town. It was fascinating. Bath also had information on Edward Teach (aka Blackbeard the Pirate), and Bobby shared even more history about him on the way home that was horrifying. We didn't make it to the town of Auroro, but hope to go back sometime with my sister and brother-in-law.  I'm thinking the person who wrote our "Day Trips from Raleigh" guide book moves at a much faster pace than we do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut